Thetford Town 2 Histon 2: Familiar failings cost Town a couple of points
- Credit: Archant
In an all too familiar story this season Thetford Town dominated Saturday's clash at Mundford Road, only for defensive errors to cost them points.
Histon arrived in the top six, but came into the game on a bad run of form, with four defeats in their last five matches.
Thetford have been in poor form themselves, with no wins in the last five, but there were few signs of a lack of confidence as they dominated the first half, scoring twice but missing a host of good opportunities.
Thetford were two goals to the good within 20 minutes. Valter Rocha's pass into the inside left channel was seized upon by Andrew Wood who cut back inside and fired the home side into the lead.
Then Elliot Smith, who was completely unmarked, stooped low to head Max Melanson's cross into the net from six yards for his first goal of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Thetford were in complete control and creating chances seemingly at will. The game should have been out of Histon's reach by the interval but Town were unable to increase their lead.
Within eight minutes of the restart Histon had drawn themselves level. The referee adjudged that Danny Gould was nudged in the back by Max Morton and pointed to the spot and Dan Brown shot high into the top left hand corner, beyond Will Viner's reach.
- 1 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 2 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 3 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 4 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 5 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 6 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 7 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 8 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 9 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 10 Couple's heartbreak leads to 28 hour stream to support baby loss charity
Brown scored his second of the afternoon when Town failed to clear a corner, and he hooked the ball back into the net from a tight angle at the far post.
The home side continued to create clear opportunities but keeper Sam Roach imade numerous fine saves to earn his team a point.
Thetford Town: Viner, Steed, Morton, Smith, Bond, White (Castro), Melanson, Priddle, Rocha, Campbell, Wood
Town play their final home game of the season next Saturday against Haverhill Rovers (3pm). Much of Town's attention will now be directed towards the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup final against Brantham Athletic at Diss Town FC on Monday, May 7 (3pm).