Thetford, Fakenham and Swaffham all enjoy their Ridgeons weekend

Thetford Town continued to set their stall out for a successful season in the First Division with a useful 3-1 win over Halstead Town – the only other team with a 100pc record going into the weekend.

Simon Mann and Matt Dixon's brace did the damage as leaders Town made it three wins from three away games.

'It was quite a big game for us and we thought it was going to be quite a tight affair,' said boss Mark Scott.

'But we took a two-goal lead and looked pretty good value for it. We were a little surprised – I thought they would have had a little bit more than they had – but we played very well.

'We have got a very good squad and one that will go on and either win this league or certainly get promotion. It's within us to do it, so to go to Halstead and take our third consecutive away win of the season, we're very pleased indeed.'

You may also want to watch:

Town's first home fixture will come against Fakenham Town – and the Ghosts have made a pretty handy start to proceedings of their own.

A 3-1 win at Cornard United helped Fakenham up to fourth – although they have already played a game more than the sides around them.

Most Read

It was a deserved win for a much-changed Ghosts side, who took the lead on 12 minutes when Julian Delicata scored after Cornard failed to clear a free-kick.

Cornard pressure eventually told just after the half hour as Louis Newland headed home a corner, but the Ghosts restored their lead after the break as Rory Harper spotted the goalkeeper off his line and delivered a superb lob from 25 yards.

Ashley Manning finished well from close range after a good cross from Toby Harris to complete the scoring in a classy display that saw Kristian Jones earn the plaudits in central midfield.

Swaffham Town also enjoyed a good Saturday afternoon of it, claiming all three points against Cambridge University Press thanks to Richard Cornwall's strike two minutes from time.

The well rehearsed visitors made a bright start but were well shackled by the Pedlars, led by assistant manager Lewis Hemeter as Paul Hunt completed his community football duties.

Luke Fell and Joe Jackson both troubled the Press defence all afternoon, while Aaron Clifford came close in the 55th minute but headed wide.

In the end the Pedlars had to wait until the 88th minute to break the deadlock.

Dwayne Hockton broke forward before laying off to Will O'Brien, whose freely floated cross was met by Richard Cornwall to strike home.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter