The rain causes even more pain for frustrated King’s Lynn Stars boss Rob Lyon

Deliberations before last night's meeting was called off. Picture: Ian Burt.

Deliberations before last night's meeting was called off. Picture: Ian Burt. - Credit: IAN BURT

King's Lynn Stars' frustrating end to the season continued last night when they suffered their second postponement in three days.

The Norfolk Arena outfit's trip to league leaders Birmingham on Wednesday night was rained off before wet weather also hit the Saddlebow Road return.

The double blow follows Lynn being forced to field a patched-up side, which only picked up a point at Coventry Bees eight days ago, to further damage their faint play-off hopes.

And Rob Lyon's mood didn't improve when he had to rearrange their home fixture against the Brummies for tomorrow with Tuesday evening's Elite League 'cut off' date looming.

The team boss said of the planned Sunday speedway which will start at 2pm: 'It's not really ideal to ride on a Sunday.

'It seems crazy that we can't have some flexibility in the cut-off date considering it's virtually a week before the play-off semi-finals take place. But it appears that that's not possible. So we've got to try and cram it in with whatever dates are available.

'Tuesday's not an option here so the only possibility is Sunday afternoon.'

Most Read

Lynn's rescheduled fixture in the Midlands is already set for Monday evening. And they're unable to host a hastily-arranged clash in Norfolk tonight due to a pre-planned stock car meeting on their own shale.

Fans has started to arrive at the home of Lynn's speedway outfit before they were turned away with conditions not improving. And Lyon was quick to defend the decision not to postpone the clash earlier in the evening – which to be fair, brought with it much drier weather.

'We tried to give it every single possibility to get it on because we're running out of days,' said the former Great Britain manager.

'We didn't want to be in a situation like we witnessed on Monday (Belle Vue v Poole, postponed after heat 10 due to terrible conditions) and if we did start we wanted to finish. We wanted to give people value for money.

'The last thing we wanted to do was to start things, the riders go out in heat one and it's too dangerous, and we're back to square one again. We made the decision to call it and we'll try again on Sunday.'

Both teams look set to be missing riders for tomorrow's clash due to Premier League fixtures and meetings across the continent.

Lynn pair Richie Worrall and Lewis Kerr, guesting for the injured Kozza Smith, are likely to be unavailable due to their PL outfit Newcastle Diamonds racing against Edinburgh Monarchs, weather permitting.

Lyon said: 'It's very difficult. I think Birmingham will have problems with riders. But we were forced to go to Coventry, and we're going to Birmingham on Monday, with not a full squad of riders.

'But we have to try and get the thing done. We've got no choice. I'm potentially going to be missing Richie and Lewis, but that's the way it is unfortunately in the Elite League at the moment.'

The forecast for tomorrow doesn't look great as Lynn – who need a miracle to reach the end-of-season shoot-out – aim to gatecrash the top four in sensational circumstances.

They need to beat Birmingham by at least 70 points across both meetings to climb above Poole Pirates – while also hoping Lakeside Hammers do not pick up all four league points at Swindon Robins on Monday.

Lyon added: 'If we can't do Sunday due to the weather, I guess it's back in the hands of Sky and the BSPA (British Speedway Promoters' Association).

'We can do Wednesday here, so can Birmingham, and we'd both have full sets of teams which would be more credible. It would just make more sense.'