Teenager sinks Lowestoft with a derby double

Two goals in the last ten minutes by 17-year-old Ian Dawson sealed a 4-2 triumph for Kirkley & Pakefield in a Boxing Day derby thriller against Lowestoft Town.

Two goals in the last ten minutes by 17-year-old Ian Dawson sealed a 4-2 triumph for Kirkley & Pakefield in a Boxing Day derby thriller against Lowestoft Town.

A bumper Walmer Road crowd of 981 saw Kirkley come from a goal down, with all the scoring in the second half.

Kirkley had gone closest to breaking the deadlock in the first half with Henderson hitting a post.

But Lowestoft came out with their sleeves rolled up after the break and Carl Poppy got on the end of a three-man move to open the scoring in the 58th minute.

An inspired substitution saw Lee Hunter, Kirkley's new signing from Gorleston, come off the bench and rifle in an equaliser with a sweet right foot shot on 64 minutes.

Full-back Nicky Stokeld scrambled in the second home goal on 66 minutes, only for Town to hit back when Marcus Saunders moved up from the back to loop a header over Nathan Pauling.

Most Read

But in the end, Kirkley - with all three Stokeld brothers on the pitch - took the points thanks to former Town player Dawson.

His first goal came from a Jamie Stokeld corner. And he finished his old club off with a good right foot drive past substitute keeper Neil Plaskett - who was on the pitch in goal for the injured Andy Reynolds.

Champions Wroxham returned to winning ways with a straightforward 3-0 win over a lacklustre Norwich United team at Plantation Park. The Yachtsmen led from the second minute, when Josh Carus nodded home a near post corner, and stretched their lead nine minutes before the break when Matt Hill failed to hold Gavin Lemmon's cross and ex Planter Paul Cook got a touch as the ball bobbled in.

The Planters could have pulled one back when Francis Kumbur headed just wide, and they had appeals for a penalty turned down as Adam Smith was sent crashing in the box.

But there was only ever going to be one winner, and the Yachtsmen grabbed a third in the final minute when Hill saved from Ben Thompson only for Gary Gilmour to net from an acute angle to seal the victory and maintain their title challenge

The result kept Wroxham on the trail of leaders Needham Market, who won 4-2 at Walsham-le-Willows. Second-placed Soham head Wroxham on goal difference after a home win over Mildenhall.

Two goals from Steve Spriggs gave King's Lynn Reserves a thrilling 3-2 win over Dereham at The Walks.

He opened the scoring in the 10th minute after Kelleher had rounded keeper Shaun Marshall to set him up.

Dereham equalised early in the second half with a 22-yard effort from Nicky Howell.

Robbie Harris put the Magpies in front in the 53rd minute - hammering in a rebound after heading Cedric Anselin's cross onto a post.

The Linnets restored parity in the 65th minute. A chipped pass forward rebounded off keeper Marshall's chin to Spriggs, 12 yards out, who coolly scored his second.

Spriggs also played a part in the 76th minute winner, delivering a perfect low cross for substitute Alex Vincent to sidefoot home.

Gorleston took the honours in the 109th league derby against Great Yarmouth with a convincing 4-2 Division One win at The Wellesley.

Ricky Butler gave the visitors the lead midway through the first half but the homeside fought back through Danny Crane and Nick Crawley to lead 2-1 at the break. The second half belonged almost totally to Gorleston and further goals from Ricky Butler, Gary Todd and John Bell ensured that the Greens preserved their record of not having lost a Boxing Day derby at the Wellesley since 1991.

Bottom of the table Fakenham briefly had dreams of claiming their second win of the season when they took an 18th minute lead at Diss - John Connelly's deflected cross being pushed out for Nicholas Haines to tap in from close range.

But Diss took only six minutes to equalise following a corner which was cleared to Robin Lawrence, who brought the ball under control and beat a defender before finding the corner of the net from the edge of the area.

Four minutes Gavin Norman gave Diss the lead and Norman scored again early in the second half to complete a 3-1 win.