Taylor: I thought job offer was a joke

Departed King's Lynn boss Tommy Taylor admitted yesterday he thought his Peterborough job offer was a 'wind up'.

Departed King's Lynn boss Tommy Taylor admitted yesterday he thought his Peterborough job offer was a 'wind up'.

Taylor resigned following Lynn's 2-1 FA Trophy win at Leyton to become United's first team coach with immediate effect.

The former Linnets boss revealed he was also interviewed for the vacant post at Conference National Rushden & Diamonds before accepting Barry Fry's invitation to join Keith Alexander's backroom staff at London Road.

"It's a massive wrench to leave," he said. "I did my best for King's Lynn but I never made any secret of the fact I wanted to get back into the pro game. When you've been out of it as long as I have - four years - people soon forget your name.

"These chances don't come along too often. Normally you end up putting in applications with 30 or 40 others for jobs and most of the time they've already decided. I did have an interview for the Rushden post, but they wanted to wait another week or two. When someone rings you up and says they want you then it's a different kettle of fish."

Taylor thrashed out a contract with Fry at Peterborough's Football League Trophy midweek win over Swansea.

Most Read

"He rang me up last Monday night saying he wanted me to be first team coach - I started laughing at him," said Taylor. "When I knew he was serious I was over the moon. The guy who was doing it has moved upstairs to become chief scout. I don't know Keith that well but I'm certainly not a threat. It'll be no different to the coaching stuff I was doing with the boys at Lynn."

Taylor delayed his departure to guide Lynn into today's FA Trophy third qualifying round draw.

"They wanted me to start straight away, but I couldn't leave the boys before Saturday," he said. "I told Sam (McMahon) on the trip down to Leyton and the rest of the lads after the game. It was hard because I'm so close to the players. We had a strong bond and they were devastated. The chairman thanked me for my efforts and we spoke about what needs to be done just to keep things ticking over and moving in the right direction."

Taylor is determined to retain his links with the club.

"I'll still speak to the chairman on a weekly basis," he said. "I want to try and come along to the midweek games when I can. I'm pleased with what we achieved in my time. The lads were playing football on the floor and I know the supporters appreciated that. They are probably not happy with me for walking away but I'd just ask them to look at it from my point of view and ask if they would do anything differently in the same situation."