Tangerines and Fenmen secure safe passage

Diss Town left it late to secure their passage into the third round proper of the FA Vase as Stuart Garner struck to see off Buckingham Town at Brewers Green Lane.

The visitors had the better of the first half with the Tangerines failing to find their attacking rhythm but a rallying call from boss Rob Taylor at half-time saw a much improved second half display, culminating in Garner's winner.

'We were very poor in the first half and we really didn't play very well,' admitted Taylor. 'If I had been a spectator I would have gone home at half-time!

'They were a good side – they moved the ball around well and caused us a few problems. But we just didn't get out of gear in the first half.

'We had a few words with the lads at half-time and they responded well in the second half. It was pleasing the way the lads responded.'

Taylor admitted the club set a decent run in the FA Vase as one of their top priorities and hopes to go even further when he finds out Diss' opponents in the next round whent he draw is made later today.

'We said to ourselves at the start of the season that we wanted to finish in the top 10 and have a run in the cups. We've had a decent start to the season in the league and it's an exciting time to be in the third round.'

Most Read

A Callum Reed goal was enough to see Wisbech Town through at Racing Club Warwick.

In front of a healthy travelling support, the Fenmen enjoyed more possession than their hosts in the first half and Warwick were grateful to goalkeeper Ash Malholtra who made several good saves. The only goal came from a Liam Nimmo cross from the left which was met by Reed at the far post and his shot hit the roof of the net.

The home side came out for the second half with far more purpose and Wisbech spent much of the second period on the back foot.

As time ticked by, the Racers started left gaps at the back and Matt Lunn could have made the game safe in the 85th minute, as he just had the keeper to beat from eight yards, but he somehow managed to mis-hit his shot wide.

Thetford Town's run in the competition came to an end at Royston Town despite taking an early lead through a Matt Dixon penalty.

Tom Malins equalised for Royston shortly after and Thetford gave themselves a real mountain to climb when Dixon was sent off for two bookable offences.

It proved to be the turning point and further goals from Matt Standen and Kaan Fehmi saw the Crows cruise to victory.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter