Take Aljezeera for honours at Yarmouth
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Aljezeera can make the most of a step down in class in the British Stallion Studs EBF Beckford Stakes at Yarmouth today.
One of two runners for trainer Luca Cumani, Aljezeera was last seen when dead-heating for second in the Park Hill Stakes at Doncaster last month.
Tackling an extended mile and six furlongs for the first time that day, the daughter of Frankel was just edged out by outsider Alyssa in the shadow of the post, going down by half a length but certainly not shirking a battle at any stage.
She was likely just outstayed that day so dropping back half a furlong here might be a bonus, while dropping from Group Two level certainly has to be a positive factor.
Aljezeera has a little to find with Wingingit on the official numbers, while the likes of Dubka would be expected to push her all the way, but Cumani's filly is still pretty unexposed and looks likely to make up into a nice four-year-old if connections choose to persist.
You may also want to watch:
Either way, victory here will give her that all-important black type that makes her an even more valuable commodity as a daughter of a champion out of an American Grade One winner in Dynaforce.
Owen Burrows can clean up in the first two events of the day with Fakhoor and Alfarqad both obvious picks.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 3 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 4 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 5 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 9 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 10 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale
Fakhoor contests the British EBF Novice Stakes after being beaten three lengths by a more experience rival on his debut at Kempton.
His run deserved further credit as he also battled against an unfavourable draw on that occasion too.
Alfarqad was similarly promising on his racecourse bow, finishing third but looking as though the experience would bring him on in leaps and bounds.
He lines up in the seven-furlong novice event and can sign off for the year on the best possible note.
Selections: 1.40 Fakhoor, 2.10 Alfarqad, 2.40 Felisa, 3.10 ALJEZEERA (NAP), 3.40 Annoushka, 4.10 Kulgri, 4.40 Chiswick Bey, 5.10 Zaria, 5.40 Monaadhil.