Tabard 20 Diss 6

Following last week's encouraging result Diss took on a side just above them in the table in a confident and determined mood, only to suffer a disappointing defeat.

The players totally accepted after the game that their performance was just not good enough. A huge improvement will be needed against high flying Chingford on Saturday.

From the outset Diss found it difficult to get into the game and found themselves under intense pressure from a Tabard pack that was much heavier and more adept at keeping the ball in the driving maul.

After 20 minutes Diss were 10 points adrift due to the fact that the Tabard forwards had been successful with two well structured driving mauls from five metre lineouts. Neither try was converted.

Diss now fought their way back into the game but on too many occasions players ran at the opposition individually and were halted easily. The support play and discipline of the previous week was not present and this proved decisive.

Deaglan Hall had to leave the field through injury and this had an effect on the team's momentum. Just before half-time Diss put together a series of sustained attacks close to the Tabard line and created an overlap. Unfortunately the wrong option was taken and possession was lost close to the breakdown. This was to prove a key moment of the game.

The second half started in a positive way for Diss with the awarding of a penalty in front of the posts. James Wyatt was successful with the kick and Diss were back in the game. Diss then lost and possession just outside their own 22m line and Tabard worked the ball down the left hand side. Following an excellent cross-kick their winger scored wide on the left hand side.

Most Read

Diss threw everything at the opposition but due to a lack of precision and the choice of poor options were unable to penetrate a determined Tabard defence. Tabard scored a further try to effectively kill the game off. Wyatt did then reply with a further penalty to give Diss some hope but the game then deteriorated, with both sides losing control. The game finished with Diss having three players in the sin bin.