Duo named in British squad for Para-Swimming European Championships
- Credit: Archant
UEA City of Norwich Swimming Club duo Jessica-Jane Applegate and Jordan Catchpole have been named in the Great Britain squad for the Para-Swimming European Championships.
The youngsters are among 24 swimmers included in the GB squad ahead of the event at the National Aquatic Centre in Dublin from August 13 to 19 – where more than 550 para-swimmers from 37 countries are set to compete.
For 18-year-old Catchpole, from Beccles, it will be his first European Championship and follows on from a successful weekend at the British Para-Swimming International Meet 2018 in Sheffield. The teen set a new British record for the 100m backstroke and won two gold medals and a bronze.
Four-time Paralympic medallist Applegate will be heading to her third European Championships, having won two silver medals and a bronze in Eindhoven in 2014 and two silvers in Madeira two years ago. Both compete in the S14 class for swimmers with intellectual disabilities.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000