Swaffham upset Wisbech in FA Cup

Swaffham Town caused an upset in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup as Jake Platten's strike saw off Wisbech Town.

The Pedlars took the lead in the 17th minute thanks to an excellent free-kick from Alex Vincent but they were reduced to 10 men shortly after when Mark Allibone received a straight red card for an alleged elbow.

Wisbech got back on level terms in the 34th minute thanks to an own goal but Platten struck before the break with what turned out to be the winner.

Gorleston left it very late to secure their passage into the next round with a 2-1 win over Deeping Rangers.

Deeping took the lead when a free kick from the right was hit deep to the back post where Simon Ashton arrived to score.

Gorleston had to wait until the 78th minute to find an equaliser when Zak Clarke poked the ball home. Gorleston went in search of a winner and got it in the fourth minute of injury time. Nathan Stone burst into the penalty area and pulled the ball back for Christy Finch to thump his side into the next round.

Great Yarmouth's FA Cup dream will have to wait for another year as they went down to defeat in a five-goal thriller at Boston.

Most Read

Despite dominating much of the first half the Bloaters went in behind at the break thanks to Lori Borbely's strike. Yarmouth deservedly drew level just before the hour mark when Matt Andersen's free-kick evaded everyone, drifting into the back of the net to restore parity.

However, Josh Ford restored Boston's lead with a simple-tap in and the forward grabbed his second shortly after thanks to a well struck free kick. Josh Thomas pulled one back for the visitors but it was too little, too late.

A last-gasp strike from Nathan Russell earned Kirkley & Pakefield a replay against Brightlingsea Regent after a 2-2 draw at Walmer Road.

The visitors took the lead after just three minutes but Ross King equalised in the second half before the Royals were pegged back once again. However, Russell struck late on with the replay set for Tuesday night.

Norwich United lost out at Holbeach United despite Jordan Blyth notching for the Planters whilst Fakenham went down to a 4-1 defeat at Huntingdon – Robbie Harris getting on the scoresheet.

In the Thurlow Nunn first division Dereham Town Reserves were held to a 1-1 draw by Haverhill Boro whilst Downham lost out to 2-1 to Needham Market Reserves.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter