Swaffham hit seven, Thetford five

After the thaw, waterlogged pitches forced postponements in the Ridgeons League, the Premier Division the hardest hit.

First Division clubs made hay in the winter sun, however, Swaffham hitting seven without reply at home to Cornard and Thetford halting Fakenham's revival with a nap hand at the Recreation Ground, also without conceding.

Gorleston returned to winning ways and are sixth in the table after a 3-1 home win over Long Melford.

Swaffham started strongly, with efforts from Joe Jackson and Scott Voutt, Aaron Clifford lobbing the keeper only to see his attempt kiss the outside of a post and Will O'Brien and Richard Cornwall combining to set up Jackson to whip a shot over the bar.

The deadlock was broken in the 34th minute, Jack Redhead playing O'Brien through. He beat beat two men, striking sweetly into the top corner.

A minute into the second half the Cornard keeper missed a through ball played by Scott Voutt and Jack Redhead tapped in. Four minutes later Redhead played Joe Jackson through, his strike rifling into the top corner. Jackson claimed his second in the 54th minute, bursting through the defence.

Jackson was instrumental in the fifth with a great forward run to play Aaron Clifford in to finish. Cornard conceded No 6 as an own goal in the 75th minute following a ball into the box by defender Daren Hockton.

Most Read

The final goal came on the stroke of full time, Dwayne Hockton winning the ball and taking it through mid-field to play in Richard Cornwall to score.

It lifted Swaffham to third-bottom, above Downham who lost 2-1 at home to Ipswich Wanderers.

'I think we caught them on the hop,' said Thetford manager Mark Scott of centre-half Dave Richard's early goal against Fakenham from a free-kick. 'They didn't expect us to come out so quickly. It gave my lads the boost of confidence they needed after a disappointing display against Team Bury on Monday.'

He said Thetford played some lovely football and were hungry to get the ball back when they lost possession, which has been lacking at times this season. Further goals came from Matt Dixon and Matt Blake (2) for a 4-0 lead at half-time.

'Fakenham showed a lot of character and spirit in the second half and gave it a really good go, but they lacked bite in the final third of the pitch. We soaked that up, hit them on the counter and could have had three or four more goals.' The fifth came from Dixon.

Table leaders Cambridge University Press won 3-0 at home to Team Bury and March lost 2-1 at home to Halstead.

In the Premier Division, Haverhill won 3-1 at home to Woodbridge, Mildenhall beat visitors Debenham LC 6-2 and Walsham-le-Willows won 3-2 at home to Histon Reserves.