Surprise as Warby walks out on Thurlow Nunn League First Division Downham Town
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Downham Town head to King's Lynn as they begin the search for their fourth manager in two years, writes Gavin Caney.
Bob Warby quit the Thurlow Nunn League First Division team after a year in charge following Saturday's 3-0 home defeat to league leaders Wivenhoe. His assistant Lewy Thompson, 25, will take temporary charge for tonight's Norfolk Senior Cup fourth round trip to face the Linnets' reserves while club officials consider their options.
Boston-based Warby, who replaced Mark Reeve in November 2014, said: 'Nothing's happened. The club and players are all fantastic. I just felt it was the right time for me to leave and let someone else take them on the next step. I'd like to thank the club for the opportunity and their support.'
Downham sit 16th in the 19-team table after finishing ninth last term – their best finish in seven years.
Secretary George Dickson said: 'It came out of the blue. Everyone at the club is disappointed that Bob's decided to leave and want to thank him for what he's done and wish him all the best.'
You may also want to watch:
Tonight's other fixtures
Norfolk Senior Cup: Wroxham v Great Yarmouth Town, Gorleston v Fakenham Town.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 6 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 7 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
Thurlow Nunn Premier: Mildenhall v Thetford Town, Swaffham Town v Kirkley & Pakefield.