Surprise as Warby walks out on Thurlow Nunn League First Division Downham Town
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Downham Town head to King's Lynn as they begin the search for their fourth manager in two years, writes Gavin Caney.
Bob Warby quit the Thurlow Nunn League First Division team after a year in charge following Saturday's 3-0 home defeat to league leaders Wivenhoe. His assistant Lewy Thompson, 25, will take temporary charge for tonight's Norfolk Senior Cup fourth round trip to face the Linnets' reserves while club officials consider their options.
Boston-based Warby, who replaced Mark Reeve in November 2014, said: 'Nothing's happened. The club and players are all fantastic. I just felt it was the right time for me to leave and let someone else take them on the next step. I'd like to thank the club for the opportunity and their support.'
Downham sit 16th in the 19-team table after finishing ninth last term – their best finish in seven years.
Secretary George Dickson said: 'It came out of the blue. Everyone at the club is disappointed that Bob's decided to leave and want to thank him for what he's done and wish him all the best.'
You may also want to watch:
Tonight's other fixtures
Norfolk Senior Cup: Wroxham v Great Yarmouth Town, Gorleston v Fakenham Town.
- 1 Eight vehicles involved in Acle Straight crash
- 2 'Unbelievably shocked': Norfolk garage team named best in country
- 3 How to get from Norwich to London for just a fiver
- 4 Woman's hip broken after 'rugby tackle' by pair of dogs
- 5 Superstar acts that are coming to Norfolk next year
- 6 Shoe shop set to close after more than two decades in business
- 7 Have you had 'the worst cold ever' which is currently ripping through Norfolk?
- 8 Huge equestrian home set in 9 acres is for sale for £1.4m
- 9 Man taken to hospital after road rage incident
- 10 Bryan Adams announces 2022 Norfolk concert
Thurlow Nunn Premier: Mildenhall v Thetford Town, Swaffham Town v Kirkley & Pakefield.