Sudbury 0, King's Lynn 0

FA Trophy First Qualifying Round - Sudbury 0, King's Lynn 0: Kings Lynn will be grateful for a second chance to make progress in Tuesday nights replay at The Walks after a draw at Sudbury.

FA Trophy First Qualifying Round - AFC Sudbury 0, King's Lynn 0

IN this year's FA Trophy competition Kings Lynn came up against former player Chris Bacon as they looked to put last weeks FA Cup disappointment behind them and start a run in the second most important knock-out competition in the calendar.

Mark Warren, an overnight doubt, failed a fitness test and was out of the Linnets' starting line-up, but Michael Frew was fit to take a place on the bench. Chapman also had to drop out of the starting line up to take a bench seat but Charlie Defty and Greg Crane were cleared to play. Jack Defty and Shaun Carey were given run outs with the reserves also for Lynn Mark Camm was set to make his 200 appearance in Linnets colours.

Lynn kicked off, facing a strong autumn sun on what was an excellent playing surface. A mazy run by Rowe enabled Bacon to have an early shot at goal, but Howie had no trouble with his effort. For Lynn, Fleming had dropped back to centre half in place of the injured Warren, with Charlie Defty moving to midfield.

Rowe again did well on the Sudbury right to reach a long, diagonal ball from Paul Smith and his inviting cross, unfortunately for the homesters, had no-one up to turn the ball in, as Lynn cleared their lines. A good lay-off from ex Linnet, Chris Bacon, gave Paul Smith a chance, but again Howie saved easily.

On 15 minutes, Lynn forced the first corner of the game, but Munson punched clear for Rowe to break on the Sudbury right and get in a cross before Camm, making his 200th Linnets appearance, cleared his lines. Another good home move forced a corner, but this was easily dealt with by the visitors' defence.

Most Read

The best chance of the half came to Sudbury, when on 22 minutes, Rowe, bursting past Crane, put in a superb cross for Bacon to head a great chance over the bar. Sudbury were continually posing a threat down their right flank, with the Linnets' defence at full stretch to stop them. Lynn had a good penalty shout for hand-ball turned down as Turner tried to burst through, but referee West waved play on.

Once again it was Rowe, running from deep, who himself had a shooting chance, but he fired straight at Howie. At the half-hour stage Lynn had posed little threat in attack.

Again, Rowe seemingly pulled back by Lake, forced a corner, from which David Head narrowly failed to make contact. Francis then fouled Rowe, but Boardley curled the free-kick wide. Home keeper, Munson, then had to be alert to come off his line to thwart Nolan.

Right on half-time, the elusive Rowe again broke through and hit a low ball across the box, with Howie grateful make a good, diving save. Bacon made a good approach once again, allowing Rowe to cross, from which Heath had a header just wide. A rare Lynn shot came when Nolan laid the ball off to Turner, who drilled his effort wide.

t Half time: AFC Sudbury 0, King's Lynn 0

Two minutes into the second half an awful mix-up in the Kings Lynn defence should have seen Sudbury take the lead but Chris Bacon missed an open goal from two yards.

Charlie Defty was cautioned for a foul on Chris Tracey he was then replaced in 57minutes by Michael Frew. An error by Girling almost let in Nolan but Munson came quickly off his line to claim the loose ball. It was all action in the 66th minute when Howie made a superb stop to deny Sudbury but then a penalty was awarded for handball against Fleming.

Howie made a second great save from David Head's well-struck penalty kick.

, diving low to his right to push the ball away. Fleming then was cautioned only to be sent off two minutes later following a foul on Chris Bacon. From the free kick Heath's header brought another good save from Howie. This all came about after a Joe Francis free kick had been charged down and Sudbury broke quickly as usual in this game down the right flank. Michael Frew then brought a fine save from Munson as he fired in an angle drive from twelve yards.

Frew made another good burst to set up Andrew Fisk for another shot but the midfielder pulled his effort well wide. West got in a good centre under pressure but neither Francis or Turner could get in a positive header when Sudbury made a move down their left flank David Head powered in a hard ground shot but once again Howie proved equal to the task.

Ex-Linnet Chris Bacon was then cautioned for a foul.

Kings Lynn had a fine chance to win the game even with 10 men but Dean West shot hit the post with Munson well beaten. A foul on West saw Crane put the ball into the box Turner getting his head to the ball enabling Nolan to volley for goal but Munson pulled off a good save when Sudbury had a final chance to win for themselves head put the ball wide from close range from Cunningham's deep cross when it seemed easier to score.

Kings Lynn will be grateful for a second chance to make progress in Tuesday night's replay at The Walks, kick off at 7.45pm.

Final Score: AFC Sudbury 0, Kings Lynn 0

Attendance 410

Kings Lynn: Howie, West, Lake, Fleming, Crane, Camm, Charlie Defty, Fisk, Turner, Knowlan, Francis.

Subs: Bloomfield, Frew, Chapman, Murray.

Sudbury: Munson, Driver, Wardley, Paul Smith, Girling, Tracey, Heath, Head, Bacon, Rowe, Boardley.

Subs: Stace, Hammon, David Head, Simon Head, Danny.Cunningham, Nicky Smith.

Referee: D.West (Leigh-on-Sea).