Struggling Brentwood Town easily see off Wroxham
Wroxham's recent good form came to an end at Trafford Park with a heavy defeat to fellow strugglers Brentwood Town.
The Yachtsmen found themselves two goals down inside 10 minutes with Brentwood number 10 Sos Yao bagging himself an early brace, rounding the Yachtsmen defence before calmly shooting past Cranfield in the Wroxham goal for his first and, following a dreadful mix-up in defence five minutes later, Yao was again on hand to fire home, giving Cranfield no chance.
Wroxham certainly had their share of the ball in the opening stages but possession off the ball was being lost in the final third of the pitch as Brentwood closed down well in front of their penalty area. The Yachtsmen were denied a sight of goal in the first 45 minutes and had Cranfield to thank at the end of the first period, saving well from Brentwood full-back Scott Dixon.
On the hour mark disaster struck for the Yachtsmen as keeper Aaron Cranfield mis-kicked his clearance in front of his goal, gifting Brentwood number nine Martin Tuchy with the simplest of tap-ins.
Wroxham had their first sight of goal on the hour mark but Rio Starkings' effort was cleared off the line. Despite the scoreline the Yachtsmen were still pushing forward and on 65 minutes Remy Gordon made a bursting run from the left-hand side into the Brentwood box but fired just wide of Neill's goal.
On 71 minutes Wroxham keeper Cranfield saved smartly from a Gardner effort with Brentwood number four Danny Dafter heading just wide from the resulting corner before Joe Marsden and Sam Harty both had shots saved by Neill in the Brentwood goal.
On 88 minutes another Gordon effort ended up in the side netting and a Marsden shot lacked power.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Fire crews to remain at scene of nature reserve blaze overnight
- 3 This is when thunderstorms will hit Norfolk this week
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 6 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
- 7 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 8 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 9 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 10 Brother and sister found dead in home were grieving beloved father
Then right on 90 minutes the Yachtsmen got a consolation goal that they deserved. Gordon arrived at the back post to fire home from a Tim Cary cross then from the resulting restart Brentwood made it four – substitute John Bradley stroking the ball into Cranfield's net moments before the final whistle.
Wroxham: Cranfield, J Marsden, Halliday, Stakings, Groves, Harty, Cary, Sanders, Smith, Gordon, Pelka. Subs: King, Doyle, Rust, Svekis.
Brentwood: Neill, Stokes, Dixon, Dafter, Witherspoon, Gardner, Love, Tuchy, Yao, Susola. Subs: Barret, Mbulu, Bradley, Williams.
Referee: Paul Burnham