Struggling Brentwood Town easily see off Wroxham
Wroxham's recent good form came to an end at Trafford Park with a heavy defeat to fellow strugglers Brentwood Town.
The Yachtsmen found themselves two goals down inside 10 minutes with Brentwood number 10 Sos Yao bagging himself an early brace, rounding the Yachtsmen defence before calmly shooting past Cranfield in the Wroxham goal for his first and, following a dreadful mix-up in defence five minutes later, Yao was again on hand to fire home, giving Cranfield no chance.
Wroxham certainly had their share of the ball in the opening stages but possession off the ball was being lost in the final third of the pitch as Brentwood closed down well in front of their penalty area. The Yachtsmen were denied a sight of goal in the first 45 minutes and had Cranfield to thank at the end of the first period, saving well from Brentwood full-back Scott Dixon.
On the hour mark disaster struck for the Yachtsmen as keeper Aaron Cranfield mis-kicked his clearance in front of his goal, gifting Brentwood number nine Martin Tuchy with the simplest of tap-ins.
Wroxham had their first sight of goal on the hour mark but Rio Starkings' effort was cleared off the line. Despite the scoreline the Yachtsmen were still pushing forward and on 65 minutes Remy Gordon made a bursting run from the left-hand side into the Brentwood box but fired just wide of Neill's goal.
You may also want to watch:
On 71 minutes Wroxham keeper Cranfield saved smartly from a Gardner effort with Brentwood number four Danny Dafter heading just wide from the resulting corner before Joe Marsden and Sam Harty both had shots saved by Neill in the Brentwood goal.
On 88 minutes another Gordon effort ended up in the side netting and a Marsden shot lacked power.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 4 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 5 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 8 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 9 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 10 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
Then right on 90 minutes the Yachtsmen got a consolation goal that they deserved. Gordon arrived at the back post to fire home from a Tim Cary cross then from the resulting restart Brentwood made it four – substitute John Bradley stroking the ball into Cranfield's net moments before the final whistle.
Wroxham: Cranfield, J Marsden, Halliday, Stakings, Groves, Harty, Cary, Sanders, Smith, Gordon, Pelka. Subs: King, Doyle, Rust, Svekis.
Brentwood: Neill, Stokes, Dixon, Dafter, Witherspoon, Gardner, Love, Tuchy, Yao, Susola. Subs: Barret, Mbulu, Bradley, Williams.
Referee: Paul Burnham