Stourbridge 1 King’s Lynn Town 2: Trophy win can kickstart season, says Setchell

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell.

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell. - Credit: Ian Burt

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell believes this FA Trophy triumph can help kickstart his side's season.

The Linnets were good value for this victory against a Stourbridge side who clearly had one eye on next Saturday's FA Cup trip to Brighton-based Whitehawk.

Stourbridge never got going in the first half and the more lively Linnets were able to take full advantage.

Boss Setchell said: 'I was really proud of my players. From one to 11 they were all desperate to win.

'The situation we find ourselves in the league isn't good. We're underachieving but I'll put it right.

You may also want to watch:

'We can use this result as a massive springboard to kickstart our season and get away from the bottom four!'

Chances were at a premium but the Linnets managed to snatch the lead on 11 minutes when the impressive Kurtis Revan robbed Stourbridge midfield man Leon Broadhurst on the edge of the area and then squared the ball across the face of goal for striker Toby Hilliard to hammer home from close range.

Most Read

Precious little happened from that point.

But the Linnets kept battling away and stretched their lead four minutes from the interval when McWilliams was allowed to burst into the Stourbridge goalmouth and fire a fierce drive which Glassboys goalkeeper Matt Gould did well to keep out with a reflex save.

But in the process of shooting for goal, McWilliams was clattered by a late challenge from Stourbridge skipper Stuart Pierpoint and referee Robin Cox had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Cool-headed Michael Clunan stepped up to calmly slot home, sending Gould the wrong way in the process. Stourbridge rang the changes after half-time but it made little difference until the Linnets gifted them a lifeline on 76 minutes.

Lee Smith, who was making a welcome return to side, tried to chest down a ball into the goalmouth from Stourbridge's Dan Scarr, but only succeeded in turning the ball into his own net with goalkeeper Alex Street left stranded.

The own goal finally brought the game to life.

The Linnets could have wrapped up the tie on 80 minutes when Revan broke clean through on goal but Gould bravely came out to save at his feet. Three minutes later, Revan was sent off for a second yellow card after tripping Stourbridge substitute Chris Lait.

Down to 10 men, the Linnets survived some late drama.

Street pulled off a point blank save to keep out Stourbridge striker Brandon Hague on 88 minutes, as the pair collided in the process.

But Street was lucky to stay on the pitch as stoppage time approached, handling out of his area when cutting out a last-gasp Gould free-kick.

Street escaped with a yellow card and the Linnets held out.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter