Stanway Rovers 6, Great Yarmouth Town 1

An opening goal from Leighton Crux was cancelled out by braces from Michael Cheek and Danny Slatter along with Lee Townrow and Mark Maher goals.

Leighton Crux's shot after good work on the right wasn't cleared off the line in time to give the visitors the lead on two minutes.

A minute later Stanway equalised as Yarmouth keeper Parker was caught out by Townrow's deep cross, looping into the net.

Maher made it two after latching onto Cheek's low cross on 23 minutes, before two goals in three minutes, Cheek and a low drive from the edge of the area from Slatter, secured the points just before half-time.

Slatter made it five after the break, powering home after latching onto Maher's ball, with Cheek completing the scoring with ten minutes remaining, rolling the ball under the keeper.

You may also want to watch:

Only four players that started the midweek game away to Walsham started against Stanway, Philip Watkins, Jason Hall, Danny Burkle and Leighton Crux all kept their place.

George Barnden, Fernando Vide and Jordan Forbes made their returns; the former as captain, but with many unavailable, Luke Parker, Andre Costa, Barney Lawrence and Alex Pantelli made their first starts for the first team.

Most Read

Yarmouth made the perfect start by opening the scoring after two minutes. The lone striker Pantelli linked up well with Vide on the right, his centre turned goalwards by Crux with the ball rolling over the white line before a backtracking defender tried to clear it off the line.

Less than a minute later Stanway had equalised. The deep cross from Townrow looked wasted with no Stanway player in the box, but it floated over keeper Parker and into the bottom corner.

The game could have seen its third goal in seven minutes as Burkle sent Lawrence through, but the midfielder was marginally offside, meaning Crux's volley from the Lawrence's cutback was ruled out.

Stanway took the lead midway through the first half as Fitzgibbon sent Cheek through, from the byline his cut back allowed Maher to fire home.

Townrow and Newson spurned chances to extend the host's lead before two goals in three minutes just before half time ended the game as a contest.

A ball over the top of Yarmouth's defence allowed Cheek to slot the ball under Parker, while Newson diverted Fitzgibbon's cross to Slatter to rifle into the top far corner.

Yarmouth won a free kick four minutes into the second half as Hall was fouled; Lawrence planting Barnden's centre at Rutherford.

But the fifth Stanway goal came five minutes later, Maher diverting Rutherford's goal kick onto Slatter, who drove the ball past Parker.

Yarmouth could have reduced the deficit ten minutes from time. A low cross by Crux from the byline found Pantelli for his only chance of the game, but the striker missed, standing on the ball. The clearance fell to Vide who was fouled on the edge of the area, Popham curled the ball over the bar.

Three minutes later Stanway completed the scoring; Townrow robbed Barnden and squared to Cheek who rolled the ball under Parker.

• Stanway Rovers: Paul Rutherford, Andrew Joslin, Daniel Slatter (Alex O'Leary, 62), Martin Calver, Tom DeVaux, Ross Norfolk, Michael Fitzgibbon, Mark Maher (Ben Pudney, 78), Michael Cheek (Raymond Turner 83), Lee Townrow, Ben Newson. Unused subs: Russell Malton, Liam Daniels.

Goals: Townrow (3), Maher (23), Cheek (41, 82), Slatter (44, 53).

• Great Yarmouth Town: Luke Parker, Andre Costa (Nathan Kemp 46), Philip Watkins, Jason Hall, Jordan Forbes, George Barnden, Fernando Vide, Barney Lawrence (Micael Adamo, 62), Daniel Burkle (Lewis Popham 46), Alex Pantelli, Leighton Crux. Unused subs: Lee Hackelton.

Bookings: Popham (54)

Goals: Crux (2)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter