Stand by for a boost to bass action
SEA FISHING: The weather has hampered sport a little, particularly in the north of the region. Heavy seas and strong winds have meant few anglers getting out to fish though I should think there'll be a few fishing as the wind eases.
The weather has hampered sport a little, particularly in the north of the region.
Heavy seas and strong winds have meant few anglers getting out to fish though I should think there'll be a few fishing as the wind eases.
There were quite a few school bass showing before the winds struck. Lots of fish up to 2lb were reported from the shingle ridge round to Sea Palling. Anglers reported the fish falling to worm and crab, though the slightly better fish seemed to come to crab. The beaches around Yarmouth have produced a few school bass too, along with flats and pouts. Dogfish and smoothound pups have been reported from Pakefield bay. The bay seems to hold a few pups in this early part of the season yet we don't get too many proper smoothounds reported in the summer here.
Bits and pieces and the obligatory dogfish are still showing off the southern beats, with a sprinkling of school bass too. I heard of the first eels reported at Kessingland, school bass and codlets at Walberswick and Dunwich with dogfish and smoothound pups also. With most beaches seeming to hold a few school bass I don't think it can be too long before the better fish are showing.
You may also want to watch:
The local crab moult is usually the trigger, it may be that this annual event has been delayed slightly by the cold temperatures from over the winter. I still think that those better bass can't be too far away now and I'm confident of having some good fish to report over the next week or two. It will be well worth a chuck after this rough-up I reckon.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham