Stand by for a boost to bass action
SEA FISHING: The weather has hampered sport a little, particularly in the north of the region. Heavy seas and strong winds have meant few anglers getting out to fish though I should think there'll be a few fishing as the wind eases.
The weather has hampered sport a little, particularly in the north of the region.
Heavy seas and strong winds have meant few anglers getting out to fish though I should think there'll be a few fishing as the wind eases.
There were quite a few school bass showing before the winds struck. Lots of fish up to 2lb were reported from the shingle ridge round to Sea Palling. Anglers reported the fish falling to worm and crab, though the slightly better fish seemed to come to crab. The beaches around Yarmouth have produced a few school bass too, along with flats and pouts. Dogfish and smoothound pups have been reported from Pakefield bay. The bay seems to hold a few pups in this early part of the season yet we don't get too many proper smoothounds reported in the summer here.
Bits and pieces and the obligatory dogfish are still showing off the southern beats, with a sprinkling of school bass too. I heard of the first eels reported at Kessingland, school bass and codlets at Walberswick and Dunwich with dogfish and smoothound pups also. With most beaches seeming to hold a few school bass I don't think it can be too long before the better fish are showing.
The local crab moult is usually the trigger, it may be that this annual event has been delayed slightly by the cold temperatures from over the winter. I still think that those better bass can't be too far away now and I'm confident of having some good fish to report over the next week or two. It will be well worth a chuck after this rough-up I reckon.
- 1 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 2 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 3 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 4 Patient dies while waiting in ambulance for hospital bed
- 5 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 6 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 7 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
- 8 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75
- 9 New 4,000 home garden village idea criticised by countryside charity
- 10 Warning for drivers as Met Office issues ice warning across Norfolk