Slatter bags three victories at Hickling
Saturday's near gale force winds affected most of the scheduled sailing events, including Northern Rivers visit to Horsey.
But the more favourable conditions on Sunday encouraged some 20 boats to enjoy racing at Hickling, where Robin Slatter (three wins) and Simon Clayton (one win) showed the Allcomers A round the broad – and Richard Shuter proved best of the rest amongst the dinghies.
The results of the last three trophies on the Three Rivers Race are now in – Tom Edwards, sailing Lydia, won the Norfolk broads Yachting Co Trophy for the first Hire cruiser; Chris Locke earned the Green Ginger trophy for first Production Cruiser in his prelude; and Tam Kaine took the Lysander trophy in his GP14 as the last of the 79 finishers – an award which, had it existed in the first year, 1961, would have fallen to yours truly.
June 9 was the latest date the race has been sailed since 1962, when it co-incided with the start of the coarse fishing season, to some dissatisfaction, resulting in the subsequent earlier scheduling.
• Senior members of Horning Sailing Club will have read of the sudden death a week ago of John Wilkins at the age of 80. John joined Horning in the 1950s, and sailed YBOD Tortoiseshell for some years before joining a syndicate with David Hastings and two others in the early 1960s, buying Rebel sailor in which they competed in the Three Rivers for some years. The funeral will be at St Faiths Crematorium on Monday 25th June at 12.30pm
You may also want to watch:
• There are three major meetings this weekend.
RNSYC's June regatta starts tomorrow and runs through to Sunday, with the first of three BOD Simo trophy races on Saturday, while on Saturday and Sunday the Punt Club welcome River Cruisers for their Open, and Buckenham have an Open weekend.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 6 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 7 City confirm midfielder exit
- 8 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 9 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 10 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
One-day Open events on Saturday include a dinghy event at Wroxham and a Leisure Owners Association Cruise from Thurne to South Walsham.
Sunday sees a Topper meeting at Wroxham, and an Enterprise Woodcock Salver event at Beccles.
Also, the Rowers are out at Whitlingham from today until Saturday, starting at 5.30pm today and tomorrow and 2pm on Saturday.
The following weekend features six weekend events, namely Norfolks at NBYC, Leaders at Hickling, YBODs at Barton, Waveneys at WOBYC, Reedham Regatta (Yare SC) for Cruisers, and not forgetting Lowestoft Seafront Air Festival.
On Sunday afternoon Lady YC have their Half Decker regatta at Hickling.