Six-man King’s Lynn Stars set for top-of-the-table Elite League clash at Lakeside Hammers
- Credit: IAN BURT
King's Lynn Stars can leapfrog Lakeside Hammers and go top of the Elite League table tonight if they draw or win at Arena Essex.
The Hammers lead the early-season standings but have ridden in five more meetings than Lynn, who sit just a point behind them.
And Rob Lyon's in-form outfit will go above their opponents if they keep up their red-hot form in front of the Sky Sports cameras. The Stars shone during Wednesday's televised 48-42 win over Swindon Robins, and triumphed - despite three riders being absent - at Birmingham by the same scoreline 24 hours later.
However, this evening Lynn look set to name just six riders because Bjerre is not riding and Lyon has been unable to book a guest, probably because there are four fixtures this evening. The Stars will operate the rider-replacement facility for the Dane, who has not featured for the club since breaking his collarbone against Leicester Lions on April 30.
He rode through the pain during Saturday's Speedway Grand Prix round in Finland but only managed to score three points from his five rides. Team-mate Niels-Kristian Iversen didn't pick up a race win on the night but added six points to his world championship total.
You may also want to watch:
The Danes sit 12th (Iversen) and 13th (Bjerre) respectively but gained ground on leader Krzysztof Kasprzak who missed out through injury. Belle Vue's Matej Zagar won the GP – his first success at the 44th time of asking. British world champion Tai Woffinden came second. Freddie Lindgren came third.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 6 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 7 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 8 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 9 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 10 Full-back signs for Burnley after Canaries release