Sir John Leman Under-14 boys take Suffolk football honours
Sir John Leman High School's year nine team have had a very successful season.
Not only have they beated all the north Suffolk schools in their mini league and reached the last 64 in the National Cup, they also managed to beat King Edward VI School in the final to become county champions.
It was an excellent game played with great spirit from both teams.
After the initial skirmishes, King Edward's scored first against the run of play. This only served to spur Sir John Leman on and at half-time Leman were 2-1 up with Tom Godfrey-Collins scoring both goals.
The first was a good through-ball that Tom lifted over the oncoming keeper and the second was a great strike off the underside of the bar, after good play from George Milton in midfield.
The second half was more difficult with the wind directly against Leman, but the team produced a good defensive performance.
King Edward's applied pressure with no luck, until a speculative shot crept in to make it 2-2 with five minutes to play.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 'Not our problem' - Tyre mountain boss exports 350 tonnes of rubber 'I know not where'
- 5 Flood alerts pass off peacefully along the north Norfolk coast
- 6 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 7 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 8 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 9 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot could be lodged 'in next couple of months'
- 10 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
Level at full-time and after 10 minutes of extra-time, the game went to penalties.
Bradley Fisher produced two great saves only to have them retaken for coming off his line fractionally too quick. This pressure forced two of the King Edward's penalty takers to miss their penalties.
The Leman penalty takers demonstrated a fantastically strong mental attitude to score all four, the fifth not being needed.
The penalty takers were Tom Galer (captain), Steven Bee, Alfie Wright and Josh Philp, and therefore Sir John Leman were crowned Suffolk Under-14 County Champions.