Shock exit as Shane Tolley swaps King’s Lynn Town for Bury Town
- Credit: IAN BURT
Shane Tolley – the player whose goal secured King's Lynn Town's magnificent promotion last season – has left The Walks.
The 28-year-old striker has joined Ryman League Premier Division Bury Town.
Tolley scored in the Linnets' 4-1 win at Worksop on Wednesday, but after the match told manager Gary Setchell that he wanted to move on.
Bury had put in a seven-day approach two weeks ago, but Tolley initially said he was not interested in leaving.
'He spoke to me after the game at Worksop and said he feels the northern section of Step Three football doesn't suit his game,' said Setchell.
You may also want to watch:
'He feels where he is going will suit his game as it is less physical.
'I am disappointed if I am honest – he has not been a fringe player, he has played in all bar one game, has been doing reasonably well and scored his first goal of the season last night.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
'I am disappointed, but I wish him all the best.
'He is a great lad and you can't stop players leaving – it is his decision.'
Tolley joined Lynn from Histon in December, 2012, having started his career at Peterborough United. He had spells at FK Riga in Latvia and Bohemian FC in the Republic of Ireland before returning to England to play at Truro for three years. He moved on to home town club Barnstaple, then St Neots, Spalding, and Histon.
Tolley made 33 appearances for Lynn, scoring 11 goals – including the winner against Sheffield which wrapped up last season's Evo-Stik Division One South crown.
Lynn also announced yesterday that versatile young midfielder-defender Charlie Butt, 18, has signed dual registration forms with neighbours Wisbech Town in order to get game time.
He will join up with King's Lynn striker Ewan Clarke, who joined the Fenmen on loan for two months.