Shaun captures world record mullet at Oulton Broad
A Lowestoft angler got more than he bargained for during an evening session on Oulton Broad when he reeled in a potential world record thin-lipped mullet.
Shaun Sillett, of North Parade, landed the 7lb 9oz specimen, which beats the existing record fish caught in Cornwall by over eight ounces during a recent session. Using bread on a size 12 hook to 5lb mono hook length and 6lb braid main line, Shaun had embarked on the session hoping to bag up with the resident bream shoals. But the magnificent mullet gave him a run for his money.
'I thought I was going to lose it, They go like torpedoes, they have such raw power. At first I thought it was a tench or a carp. After the third run out it actually surfaced and I could see what it was,' said Shaun, 40.
The fish was weighed and photographed by Shaun's best friend Richard Lake, from Gorleston, before being released. After having his scales checked and calibrated by British Trading Standards, Shaun set about the complex procedure of pursuing his world record claim with the International Game Fishing Association.
Whatever the outcome it will always be a fish of a lifetime in his eyes. 'As far as I am concerned I know I caught a world record fish, These fish are so hard to catch, I have only ever seen one caught on rod and line from Oulton Broad in the last five years,' he said.
The current record stands at 7lb 3dr and is held by Cornish angler Steve Maliska, who made the catch from a river in the Truro area in May.
Shaun continued his run of good form at Oulton Broad this week with a bumper 272lb haul of bream while feeder fising at night. The 176 fish haul, taken using bread and maggots, included fish around the 5lb mark.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 4 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 5 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 6 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 7 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 8 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 9 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword
- 10 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia