Sea Fishing: Soles come to the fore but keep your rod low
It has been another decent week on the region's beaches with a variety of species giving anglers targets right the way round our patch.
In the deep south there have been some smoothounds, mostly pups but a few better ones too. The sole have started to show in flat seas, the usual haunts should produce, the flatter the sea the better and colour or darkness will help too.
I've seen reports with two or three decent soles in from Aldeburgh, Southwold and up around Lowestoft. These lovely little fish can often be surprisingly close in so don't cast too far and keep your rod low to nail the bait to the deck. Above Lowestoft and Corton, Hopton and Gorleston have all produced a few school bass and smoothound pups, with the occasional codling around the features.
Yarmouth beaches have produced school bass, whiting and smoothound pups and the odd decent eel in the river.
Up to Cromer and it's mostly school bass with the occasional better fish to maybe 3-4lb. The shingle in the north has produced mackerel, smoothounds and school bass, again conditions tend to dictate the target on the day. If it's flat then mackerel and hounds will be the quarry with bass showing after dark or when there's a surf on.
You may also want to watch:
The wash beaches have produced some hounds and will likely produce a few rays too; it's well worth fishing crab on one rod and sand eel or herring on the other if you're around Hunstanton way. Lincolnshire beaches are still the places to head to if you want a chance of a really big hound.
Paul Coulthurst had a beauty of 23lb 8oz last weekend and the Trunch open was won with over 118lb of fish. Assuming the forecast is something like right, the run up to the weekend will give best chances for mackerel and hounds, the northerlies due over the weekend will put a nice surf on and there should be a few bass around making it worth a chuck pretty much anywhere.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
- 4 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
- 9 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 10 Popular wine merchant took his own life, inquest hears