Sea Fishing: Monster cod reported as Spring finally arrives
A slight upturn this week, particularly south of Yarmouth with a few codling to 3lb and a sprinkling of smaller ones too.
I wouldn't say they add up to a spring run yet but optimism is higher than it was and the run up to April will tell if there's going to be a run or not.
A 20lb+ cod was reported from a boat off Orford Ness whilst a sprinkling of codling to 3lb have been reported from the Ness and up to Aldeburgh. There have been a few immature fish from Southwold, Minsmere, and Dunwich along with undersized whiting and small dabs. Pakefield bay and Lowestoft south pier have been quiet though Ness Point to Corton has produced a few more 2-3lb codling amongst the rough ground there.
Hopton has been quiet from beach and boat, again an occasional fish has turned up at the wreck and features seem to be the holding areas as usual. At least until there's enough fish shoaling to run the beaches.
Yarmouth to Cromer has been slow with only rocklings and small whiting and flats reported with occasional immature codling.
You may also want to watch:
Holt fished Trimingham last Sunday, a hard match won by Sam Attew with five rockling for 1lb 2oz, Henry Randell was second with 11oz and Tony Thomas third with 6oz. All the fish caught were rockling, three flounders aside, though Paul Thorburn lost a nice 5lb codling in the surf.
The shingle ridge has been hit and miss too with anglers blanking on one tide and managing a few immature codling on the next. A rise in temperatures will do sport no harm at all, and once the crabs and shrimps get on the move again the fish won't be far behind. There have been a few school bass in reports this week, a sure sign things will be picking up in the next few weeks.
- 1 'We haven't slept': Primark shoppers queue outside city store from 3am
- 2 Couple sell 'amazing' converted water mill after two-year renovation
- 3 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 4 People queue at Norwich Primark an hour before 7am reopening
- 5 Streets of Norwich packed as lockdown rules ease
- 6 Lanes closed after lorry hits A47 central reservation
- 7 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 8 Months of resurfacing work on Norfolk's roads to start
- 9 Third time lucky for historic pub's reopening
- 10 More than two weeks of A47 lane closures to begin from tonight