Sea Fishing: Exciting mix of fish being caught
There have been some good mixed bags right around the region over the last week.
Along with the whiting and flats there have been some dogfish, bass and codling, even some smoothound pups.
Things can be expected to be a little late this year given the winter we had, but all in all, things look to be picking up nicely.
Holt SAC fished the third round of their summer accumulator at Bacton over the weekend. Henry Randell took top spot with 6lb 15oz, Tony Thomas second with 6lb 3oz and the biggest round a bass of 44cm, with Richard Ellis third with 3lb 12oz.
There was quite a mix of fish caught including a gurnard and a sole.
Matt Lawes had a turbot from the rough ground on the north Norfolk coast and Brian Heritage had a nice little thornback from Orford Ness, showing the variety on offer at either end of the patch. There are still a few codling showing at Lowestoft and I saw some smoothound pups in catches from along there too, fresh crab seems to be the bait at the minute.
Some great news for the local angling scene, top match angler Dene Conway, is opening a new tackle shop in north Norfolk. Ritegear Angling Centre, 32 Cromer Road, West Runton will be opening its doors on the coming bank holiday weekend and will be stocking fresh and frozen bait along with a full range of coarse and sea angling tackle.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 7 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 8 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 9 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 10 Plan to charge for seafront floral tributes is agreed
Dene has masses of experience and I know he'll be only too pleased to help anybody with match or pleasure angling questions, hints, and tips.
In these days of online shopping and internet forums, it'll be brilliant to have another local shop where you can get the latest catch news or check out the latest tackle innovations.