Safety first as storms hit Lynn
Thunderstorms washed out play at the East region County Match Week at King's Lynn but, with the results decided on the morning foursomes, Norfolk secured a half against Essex.
Thunder was rumbling around the course as the six teams played their foursomes and the lightning storm, coupled with torrential rain, finally broke around lunchtime.
Some of the early singles had already started and the players were brought in from the course. Then, with the lightning continuing, it was decided to abandon play for the day. The foursomes results stood and the singles were all declared halved.
County captain Alex Cowie said: 'Personally, I think it was the right decision. You have to think about the safety of the players.'
Norfolk had made a fine start to the day when Tracey Williamson (Royal Cromer) and Rebecca Heeles (Royal Norwich) teamed up to win their match on the 13th. The Dunston Hall pairing of Shelley Pleasance and Sue Henderson halved their match after a tight battle. They were two down after three holes, but one up after six and then were involved in a seesawing match.
You may also want to watch:
The County Match Week brings together Norfolk, Suffolk, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Essex & Cambs & Hunts for the East regional round of the English counties' championship. The winner will go forward to the national County Finals in Essex in September.
In the day's other matches the results were: Hertfordshire beat Cambs & Hunts 2�-� in the foursomes (5�-3�); Bedfordshire beat Suffolk 2-1 in the foursomes (5-4).
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Man seriously injured after crash
- 4 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
Today Norfolk play Suffolk.
Norfolk v Essex: Tracey Williamson (Royal Cromer) & Rebecca Heeles (Royal Norwich) beat Amanda Colgate & Danielle Anderson 6/5; Sue Henderson (Dunston Hall) & Shelley Pleasance (Dunston Hall) halved with Charlotte Thompson & Georgina Blackman; Sam Martin (Royal Norwich) & Tiffany Mills (Ryston Park) lost to Sam Lovell & Sophie Madden 3/1.