Ryman One North: Dereham miss good opportunities to take all three points at Burnham Ramblers
- Credit: IAN BURT
Dereham left Essex with a point – but missed several good opportunities to come home with all three.
The Magpies made an ideal start when Danny Beaumont gave them a fifth-minute lead. Home defender Danny Cossington failed to intercept Aaron Kay's long ball down the middle and that presented Beaumont with the opportunity to pounce and slot home from 15 yards.
But Burnham responded by winning two corners before quickly drawing level. Magpies keeper Matt Powley could only palm Ricky Evans' deep ball behind him, allowing Neil Richmond to net with an acrobatic overhead kick in the 13th minute.
Play became broken and scrappy, with neither keeper troubled. Shaun Bammant tested the home defence with two crosses from the left, but both were cleared.
Sam Borrer put Beaumont away on the left, but his 20-yard effort swerved well wide. As the half ended Richmond went close with a second overhead kick before Luke Tuttle had a well-struck low drive cleared off the line.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham should have scored in the 68th minute when Bammant headed Beaumont's inviting ball over from point-blank range.
Richmond then also missed a great opportunity for Burnham, somehow managing to head Evans' centre wide from six yards out as the game remained open.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 3 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 4 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 5 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 8 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
With little over 10 minutes left, Bammant made a fine run down the left before teeing up Beaumont who blazed the ball onto the bar when well placed and Dereham's frustrating day continued when Craig Bussens failed to finish another Bammant centre.