Ryan Walsh stunned as referee calls it a draw in British Masters clash

Ryan Walsh's camp will make an official complaint to the British Boxing Board of Control after the Cromer fighter failed in his British Masters title bid.

Walsh – and most others inside the Norfolk Showground – was convinced he had done enough to beat Scotland's Ronnie Clark for the vacant super-featherweight belt, but was stunned that referee Mark Green called it a 95-95 draw.

While the 26-year-old stood looking in disbelief at the official, a clearly surprised Clark celebrated wildly.

'We will make a complaint, definitely,' said trainer Graham Everett. 'It was a big enough win – we will make our feelings known.

'To be honest, I would have scored that seven rounds to three for Ryan. Ryan made him miss so much. I thought Ryan boxed him comfortably.

'The most surprised person in there when he got the draw was Ronnie Clark himself. He admitted to us that he hadn't got it.'

Walsh himself appealed in vain to the official.

Most Read

'I said to the referee, 'a draw? You are the only man in this building, including my opponent, including his team, who thought it was a draw'.

'It feels like a victory for them because they know they didn't get even the draw. But as my very wise twin brother (Liam) said to me, 'if this is what is written, if this is what is meant to be, then so be it'. There is no point crying about it. But I am going to pursue the board.

'I would like to sit down with my referee tonight, and watch that fight with him, because I am a keen judge myself, I am very honest and very fair and I would love to sit down with him and watch this fight together and find out how he gave him five rounds. I gave him three, maybe four.

'So three and a draw and I still win the fight. When he said 95 I was shocked. I worked too hard here to get a draw.'

The decision was the only blemish on a night when the card was reduced to five bouts after a series of late withdrawals – although there were excellent victories for Scott Moises, Nathan Dale and former Commonwealth heavyweight champion Sam Sexton, making a rare appearance in front of his home fans.

'I was really pleased with them,' said Everett. 'They fought well and they fought to the plan. It has been a difficult week but (promoter) Mervyn Turner was determined not to pull the plug on the show, as he could easily have done. The withdrawals were nothing to do with him, but he has worked so hard and will have lost a lot of money, just to ensure the show went ahead and he should be applauded for that.'