Rushall Olympic 3, King’s Lynn Town 1 - Linnets left to rue missed chances after fourth loss

Gary Setchell. Picture: Matthew Usher

Gary Setchell. Picture: Matthew Usher - Credit: Matthew Usher

Linnets boss Gary Setchell was left to reflect on a number of missed chances as his side suffered their fourth defeat of the campaign.

David Bell missed a penalty on Saturday. Picture: Matthew Usher.

David Bell missed a penalty on Saturday. Picture: Matthew Usher. - Credit: Matthew Usher

Setchell and Lynn were left to ponder what might have been as the Pics reproduced a repeat of last season's scoreline at Dales Lane.

David Bell missed a penalty for Lynn in the first half, while George Thomson was denied by the legs of the home goalkeeper and Jake Jones sliced an effort wide of the target, when it was easier to score, in the second period.

Unlike Tuesday's home defeat by Buxton, the Lynn chief was reasonably satisfied with his side's performance and workrate.

But a disappointed Setchell was left to rue Lynn's missed opportunities in the West Midlands, saying: 'We've had the best three chances of the game, but we haven't taken them.

You may also want to watch:

'We've put all of the effort in the world in, created the chances and have outplayed the opposition for long periods, until probably the last 15 minutes, but have come away with a 3-1 defeat which is soul-destroying.

'I'm the first one to come out and complain when my team doesn't perform, but my issue isn't with our performance today it was with our poor finishing in front of goal.

Most Read

'David Bell should score from the spot 12 yards out, you'd expect George Thomson to roll it past the goalkeeper in a one-on-one situation and Jake Jones shouldn't be missing an empty net from 18 yards out.

'If we'd taken those opportunities then we would have walked away with the three points.

'I'm disappointed because we have played as well as we can but have fallen short in front of goal.'

The turning point of the contest was Bell's miss from the spot midway through the half after Jones, who had been fouled for the penalty, had cancelled out Aaron Farrell's opener for the hosts a few minutes earlier.

Bell hit his penalty straight at Cameron Belford, who was on hand to rescue his side again 18 minutes into the second half by foiling Thomson with his legs.

The ball went out for a corner to Lynn, but less than 30 seconds later the hosts took the lead for a second time when dangerman Farrell made Lynn pay.

It was then Jones' turn to fluff his lines in front of goal in the 74th minute when, with Belford out of his goal, he screwed his effort wide.

Farrell then turned provider for Aaron Williams to complete the scoring in the dying seconds after Alex Street had denied the same player with a brilliant save a couple of minutes earlier.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus