Rocastle nets five for Tangerines

Diss Town visited basement side Cornard and returned home with six goals, without reply, and all three points which sees the Tangerines jump one place to second.

Jordan Rocastle took his goals tally to 16 for the season as he struck five times. The other goal came from Brendan Foley who headed in a George Watts-Sturrock free-kick in the third minute.

Fakenham returned from their crunch bottom-half-of-the-table clash with Long Melford with all three welcome points after a 1-0 win. The result saw the Ghosts leapfrog their rivals in the table as they rose two places.

Swaffham Town's steady rise up the Division One table continued this weekend, leaping two places after a 1-0 derby win over Downham.

Joe Jackson provided the only goal about ten minutes from the end of the game. Downham almost drew level in the last minute but Swaffham's Dean Mayes produced a brilliant save.

You may also want to watch:

The Pedlars are now one place below neighbours Thetford, whom they meet in another derby tomorrow night.

Other results saw Ipswich Wanderers beaten 3-0 by Saffron Walden while March Town United lost 2-1 at home to table-topping Cambridge University Press – with A Bryan scoring their consolation goal.

Most Read

Halstead returned from Stowmarket with a 1-0 win and Team Bury lost 4-0 to visitors Godmanchester.

Meanwhile, in the First Division Knock-out Cup, Gorleston were 1-0 winners over Whitton United after a tough battle – and will now face Thetford Town in the final.

Having scored eleven goals in their previous two games it was perhaps no surprise Whitton began on the front foot and held the upper hand in the opening exchanges, but Gorleston soon grabbed a hold in the game.

Whitton seemed intent on breaking up the hosts' flow with a number of niggly challenges and the yellow cards flowed more regularly than scoring opportunities and the half ended goalless.

The second half began in similar fashion to the first with Whitton pressing – but then manager Richard Daniels introduced new signing Ally McKenna and, within eight minutes, Gorleston had taken the lead.

Kyle Howell did superbly on the right touchline, winning the ball, holding off a challenge and hitting a dangerous cross which was only half cleared.

The ball landed nicely for McKenna who smacked the ball into the goal with aplomb.

In the 90th minute, an acrobatic overhead effort from Ronaldo Wright looked destined for the top corner but Elliot Pride, diving at full stretch, managed to tip it round a post.

Gorleston had to dig in for almost five minutes of injury time to repel all Whitton had to offer and earn the right to face Thetford in the final.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter