Roberto Duran and Nigel Benn to follow in Mike Tyson’s wake at Gorleston’s Ocean Room
The improbable parade of megastar boxing kings at Gorleston's Ocean Room is set to continue after the announcement of another date to leave fight fans drooling.
Just days after one-time 'Baddest Man on the Planet' Mike Tyson delighted a 500-strong gathering at the seafront venue, it has been revealed that Roberto 'Hands of Stone' Duran and Nigel 'Dark Destroyer' Benn will be the latest former world champions heading this way for speaking engagements.
The latest date for the diaries is Thursday, November 22 as Benn takes in Gorleston on his farewell tour before emigrating to Australia in December.
Also dropping in will be Duran, the subject of a movie on his life with Robert De Niro playing him and rap star Usher playing his one-time ring rival Sugar Ray Leonard – a visitor to the Ocean Room and Yarmouth's K9 gym as recently as September.
Still basking in the success of former undisputed world heavyweight champion Tyson's visit on Friday, local man Leon Docwra admitted that many people were having to pinch themselves to check that it was all true. 'People are finding it hard to get it into their heads that it actually happened – bit it did happen,' said Leon, who along with businessman Carl Moore and promoter Spencer Brown got the Tyson show on the road to Gorleston.
You may also want to watch:
The controversial ex-champ, who last fought in 2006, earned a knockout verdict from a mixed audience which included Lowestoft's Olympic bronze medalist Anthony Ogogo, Norwich heavyweight Sam Sexton, popular ex light-welterweight champion Jon Thaxton and former Tyson sparring partner Big Joe Egan. 'He has lived 10 lives in his lifetime. He really is on the path to righteousness right now. His life has changed, he's a happy guy right now,' said local boxing coach and former ABA contest semi-finalist Leon.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 4 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 5 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 10 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk