Ridgeons League roundup: Wroxham penalty hero Scott Howie desperate for double

Penalty hero Scott Howie is convinced Wroxham can go on to complete a league and cup double this season.

The veteran goalkeeper, 40, saved a dramatic last minute penalty from Haverhill's Jack Wilkinson to book the Yachtsmen's place in the semi-finals of the League Challenge Cup.

This cup clash was a game of three penalties – Matt Daniels spot-kick four minutes from time proving decisive after Ben Thompson had earlier cancelled out Dan Cornwell's first half penalty.

'We are definitely good enough (to win the league and cup), but it's all about having the right mentality,' said the ex-Norwich City man. 'The strength in depth we have in the squad is a lot better than it's been for a couple of years now.'

In the Premier Division, Dereham moved up to fourth in the table thanks to an emphatic 5-0 win at home to Newmarket.

Michael Sommerfield opened the scoring for the Magpies in the 13th minute but they had to wait until the second period to wrap up the points.

Matt Henman's side showed impressive patience and they got their reward 15 minutes from time when Luke Hannant's initial effort was blocked but after a series of ricochets Nathan Howard had the simple task of hammering the ball home from close range. Minutes later Dereham went three up when following a cross from the left a defender scored an own goal. In the 82nd minute Nathan Howard headed home an Ollie Willis cross from the right to make it four. The Magpies registered their nap hand in the 87th minute when Sam Willis neatly slotted home from the edge of the box.

Most Read

Kirkley & Pakefield eased their relegation fears with a 1-0 win at Woodbridge courtesy of Dominic Smith's 68th minute strike. One goal was always going to decide this very close match and so it proved when a left wing cross was headed over Sills in the Woodbridge goal by Smith. The Woodpeckers pushed forward in an attempt to grab an equaliser late on but they failed to trouble visiting keeper Jordan Smith.

Great Yarmouth Town slumped to another heavy defeat at home to Felixstowe & Walton, who ran out 7-1 winners.

The Bloaters found themselves 4-0 down at half-time and the goals continued to arrive in the second half for the Seasiders. Yarmouth did however manage to grab a consolation in injury time thanks to George Barnden's clever finish.

Gorleston slipped to a 2-0 defeat at Wivenhoe, with the Essex side taking the lead early in the second half thorugh Liam Dadds. The Greens came close to getting back on level terms but Kyle Howell saw his effort rebound off the bar and their misery was complete when Ray Catchpole wrapped up the points.

Diss claimed a creditable 0-0 draw at home to in-form Ely.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter