Ridgeons League Challenge Cup: Norwich Utd 1, Stanway Rovers 2
Norwich United's bid to win their first cup competition in 20 years ended in disappointment at Diss Town's Brewers Green Lane ground yesterday.
In the end it was Stanway Rovers who deservedly lifted the Ridgeons League Challenge Cup thanks to an unfortunate own goal by United's Tom Jeal who headed past his own keeper Ben Nower just five minutes after the interval when man of the match Ben Newson cut the ball back from the byline on the left.
Stanway dominated the first period, although it was another mistake that led to the opening goal in the 17th minute. Nower, under pressure from Newson, sliced his clearance and Michael Cheek headed home from close range.
The Planters were level in first half stoppage time when George Wilson threaded a ball down the right touchline and Lee Hunter crossed to an unmarked Jordan Blyth who headed firmly past Rutherford from ten yards.
Stanway soon got their noses in front again, had several chances to extend their lead and were worthy winners of the competition.
You may also want to watch:
Planters manager Paul Chick conceded: 'It's disappointing but they were the better side, however we made mistakes for both goals, and we scored the only good goal of the game'.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000