Redbridge 2 Dereham Town 1: Magpies rue late penalty miss
Dereham Town missed a late penalty as they slumped to defeat following a poor performance, writes Rene Kendal.
Nathan Page almost got Dereham off to a dream start with a 20-yard effort that flew narrowly wide before Ryan Hawkins fired into the side-netting.
The Magpies made their early pressure pay when recent loan signing Ryan Crisp capitalised on an error from defender Liam Thomas to open his Dereham account from close range in the eighth minute.
However, Redbridge drew level in the 22nd minute when keeper Andy Wilton was adjudged to have fouled Mark Nougher in the box and the striker converted the resultant penalty.
Redbridge took the lead after the break when Gavin Cockman launched a long throw beyond the Dereham defence from within his own half, enabling Vinnie Murphy to chip advancing keeper Andy Wilton in the 48th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham thought they had earned themselves a lifeline in the 93rd minute when Hawkins was upended by Luke Edger and the referee pointed to the spot.
Dan Morphew took on the responsibility but saw his effort superbly saved by home keeper Mark Palmer to preserve the points for his side.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 6 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 7 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 8 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 9 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 10 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall