Redbridge 2 Dereham Town 1: Magpies rue late penalty miss
Dereham Town missed a late penalty as they slumped to defeat following a poor performance, writes Rene Kendal.
Nathan Page almost got Dereham off to a dream start with a 20-yard effort that flew narrowly wide before Ryan Hawkins fired into the side-netting.
The Magpies made their early pressure pay when recent loan signing Ryan Crisp capitalised on an error from defender Liam Thomas to open his Dereham account from close range in the eighth minute.
However, Redbridge drew level in the 22nd minute when keeper Andy Wilton was adjudged to have fouled Mark Nougher in the box and the striker converted the resultant penalty.
Redbridge took the lead after the break when Gavin Cockman launched a long throw beyond the Dereham defence from within his own half, enabling Vinnie Murphy to chip advancing keeper Andy Wilton in the 48th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham thought they had earned themselves a lifeline in the 93rd minute when Hawkins was upended by Luke Edger and the referee pointed to the spot.
Dan Morphew took on the responsibility but saw his effort superbly saved by home keeper Mark Palmer to preserve the points for his side.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 6 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 Parking debate and police focus part of crackdown on 'keyed' cars