Rare catches are a big delight for East Anglia’s anglers
- Credit: Archant
It has been good sized fish from the more surprising places that make the news this week.
Bungay Cherry Tree's new head bailiff Paul Chapman (taking over from the sad death of John Parsons) reports the club's day ticket water of the Common Pond yielded a fin and scale perfect 23lbs common carp.
This comparatively small, popular water at £5 a day also threw up a 3lbs perch. The members-only Earsham Lay-By Pit has started to fish well with five tench featuring in one bag weighing up to 6lbs a piece, and another catch of 15 to match carping expert Frank Ling of Earsham, whilst member Kenny had three fine tench and a 14lbs 12ozs common carp from the shallow end. The club's annual general meeting under the chairmanship of Glen Shiplee, who reported an increase of over 10pc in membership, went well with a subs increase of £5 for seniors and £4 OAPs to finance the leasing of an excellent new Lake at Ellingham Hall.
Harleston, Wortwell & District AC still waters open on their special £15 one rod for members two-month ticket for April and May. No keepnets and non-members £30. The Lakes are fishing their heads off.
Carp over 20lbs caught here tally up to five in the week, with the best 27lbs 10ozs, and a large numbers of prowling doubles in the margins have fed close in too. A reported 8lbs 11ozs tench is one of the best other species to appear taking a very large lob worm presented free-lined just a few feet from the edge in one of the pits, several having been spotted feeding earlier. Hopes are high for the Club's new Kingfisher Lake as stockings have taken place.
You may also want to watch:
Thorpe Abbots Highfield Fishery produced a couple of really nice crucian carp over the holiday from the far side corner of the Central Match Lake. Owner Mike and Linda Roberts, hard at work improving the site, report one at 2lbs 8ozs and another of 3lbs alongside a good tench or two. There are £7 day tickets available on the bank, call 077696 60516 for details.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 3 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 4 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 5 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 6 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 7 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 8 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing