QPR 1, Norwich 0

Norwich City boss Peter Grant "is considering his future" after the Canaries continued their nosedive to third from bottom of the league.Norwich’s dire Championship campaign plunged a new low with managerless bottom club QPR notching their first league win of the season.

QPR 1, Norwich 0 HT

Norwich City boss Peter Grant "is considering his future" after the Canaries continued their nosedive to third from bottom of the league.

Norwich's dire Championship campaign plunged a new low tonight with managerless bottom club QPR notching their first league win of the season.

Martin Rowlands ratcheted up the pressure on under fire boss Peter Grant with a 67th minute spot kick after City collapsed under a second half barrage at Loftus Road.

Grant said after the match that "something's got to give".

He said: "I can't work any harder. It's either me or the players. I'll take a long, hard look at it and assess the situation. I'll make the right decision in the next few days."

Most Read

Scottish international stopper David Marshall waged a one-man rearguard action for long spells as Rangers launched wave after wave of unanswered attacks.

City imploded with the half time withdrawal of Dion Dublin after a cagey opening stanza between two struggling sides bereft of confidence - Dublin failing to re-appear after aggravating a back problem.

Darrel Russell's first shot on target for the visitors a full 76 minutes into the contest brought huge ironic cheers from the frustrated away support as City's goal drought extended to six matches.

City remain mired in the bottom three ahead of the international hiatus punctuated by the club's scheduled AGM next week.

Grant made three changes to his starting line up from last week's drab goal less draw against Scunthorpe.

Skipper Jason Shackell returned after suspension at the heart of the Canaries' backline to partner Dublin. Ian Murray was forced to settle for a place on the bench after picking up a foot injury in the Irons' draw. Simon Lappin earned a recall in midfield with Chris Martin handed his first league start of the season after an impressive late cameo against Scunthorpe.

Jamie Cureton (foot) was left out of the squad alongside longer term injury absentees Gary Doherty and Mark Fotheringham after failing to shake off a foot problem. Luke Chadwick was included in an attacking bench featuring Chris Brown and David Strihavka.

Rangers' caretaker boss Mick Harford handed home debuts to Portsmouth loan recruit Martin Cranie and one-time City target Rowan Vine. Former Norwich midfielder Jason Jarrett was forced to settle for a place on the bench after his arrival on loan from Preston.

Jon Otsemobor and Lee Croft doubled teamed Chris Barker after the raiding home full back burst forward in the opening skirmishes. Rowlands upended Darren Huckerby but Croft's inswinging free kick was hacked clear.

Adam Bolder was smartly around on the cover after Huckerby had eased out Cranie. Mikele Leigertwood's first time sidefooter flashed wide of Marshall's right hand upright after Chelsea youngster Ben Sahar outwitted Ostemobor.

Dublin's timely intervention deflected Sahar's angled shot behind for the first home corner - Marshall pouching Gareth Ainsworth's volley from the resulting set piece.

Huckerby and Vine squared up after the Birmingham striker played on when Adam Drury was felled before the competitive duo made up with a hand shake during the stoppage - Drury fit to continue after treatment to his left shoulder.

Lee Camp gathered after Russell sprung a slick City counter - Croft and Huckerby slicing through the Rangers' rearguard.

Croft stayed on his feet after bursting into the box under the close attentions of Hogan Ephraim but Lappin's cutback was smashed away.

Dublin returned after a brief pit stop to stem a bloody nose and was immediately called on to head Sahar's probing centre behind.

Vine's furious penalty appeals for an apparent tug by Shackell fell on deaf ears. Sahar's misplaced pass earned the wrath of the tense home support but Marshall was forced to beat away Ephraim's stinging 20-yarder seconds later.

Dublin diverted Shackell's pinpoint free kick on a rare attacking foray for the visitors but Camp was alert to the danger.

Cranie out muscled Russell in a back post aerial duel as Norwich tried to up the ante in the closing stages of the half.

Vine's skied effort into the Norwich support summed up the lack of quality on show from the two Championship strugglers. Croft's jinking run forced a corner in stoppage time but Dublin's towering near post header sailed over.

City suffered a body blow during the interval when talisman Dublin failed to appear - Murray slotting in alongside Shackell.

Rangers were inches from breaking the deadlock on 47 minutes when the advancing Rowlands drilled a long range strike against the foot of Marshall's right hand upright.

Shackell survived another penalty appeal when Vine tumbled after a tangle of arms - referee Walton emphatically waving away vociferous home appeals.

Bolder smacked the follow up at Marshall as the West Londoners moved through the gears. Drury headed Rowlands' set piece away with Rangers now firmly in the ascendancy.

Ephraim bought a free kick from Rossi Jarvis but Marshall clawed away Rowlands' 25 yarder before Shackell completed the clearance.

Otsemobor deflected away Rangers' dangerman Ephraim's arcing right footer as the Canaries struggled to lift the siege.

Grant shuffled his pack with Czech striker David Strihavka introduced on the hour mark for Lappin - City reverting to a three-pronged attacking unit.

Rangers' incessant pressure finally told on 66 minutes - referee Walton pointing to the spot at the third time of asking after Murray clumsily upended Vine.

Rowlands crashed the penalty past Marshall - City's Scottish international hammering the ball away in frustration as the home support erupted.

Drury's glancing touch diverted Ainsworth's piledriver before Marshall acrobatically tipped over Leigertwood's point blank header then palmed away Ephraim's goal bound volley.

Russell's ambitious strike at Camp brought City's long suffering travelling support to life in a rare glimpse of the opposition box.

Normal service was resumed when Marshall kicked away Ephraim's close range dig. Jarrett entered the fray in the closing minutes as Harford looked to bolt the door shut.

Russell's mishit dribbled through to the under employed Camp in five minutes of added on time.

Shackell's far post header from Jarvis' hanging free kick dropped at Camp as City launched a belated final assault.

Marshall still had time to deny Vine as Rangers launched one last counter before referee Walton called time on another miserable awayday for the Canaries - City's away support venting their feelings with a bout of booing on the final whistle.