Prolific Evergreens hit five in another big victory

NORFOLK WOMEN'S LEAGUE: Freescoring Evergreens registered their second successive big win as they defeated Dereham 5-2 in the Premier Division.

Following the previous weekend's 7-0 thrashing of Lowestoft Railway, Evergreens started full of confidence at Dereham.

They took the lead when Harriet Segasby found the back of the net following a goalmouth scramble from a short corner.

Dereham equalised when a run by Gemma Pointer culminated with Becky Shepherd pushing the ball past the keeper to make it 1-1 at half-time.

Hannah Mitchell put Evergreens in front after the break and Sarah Curtis' first time strike from a short corner made it 3-1.

Jess Shand then produced a solo effort to extend the lead against her old club and another sweet strike from Curtis made it 5-1.

Dereham fought back late on with Donna Vaughan netting from a short corner.

Most Read

Norwich City II moved up to second with an 8-1 thrashing of bottom side Lowestoft Railway.

Ellie Brine began the rout with a first minute strike and City led 5-1 at half-time, with Emilie Delacave, Emily Anthony (2) and Maddie Taylor also on target.

Anthony completed her hat-trick from a penalty corner after the break, before making it 7-1 from a rebound off the post.

Delacave then completed the scoring after a slick passing move.

In Division One, Reepham thrashed Great Yarmouth II to go third in the table.

Alice Buxton gave Reepham the lead before captain Katie Lake provided a finishing masterclass with the remaining five goals.

Sprowston II picked up their first win of the season, beating Dereham IV 3-0.

Centre forward Lan Whittle opened the scoring in the first half by tapping in after her original shot was saved. Becky Laidlaw's skilful strike doubled the advantage and in the second half Sharon Weeks powered in a shot from a short corner.

Norwich Dragons III fielded three new players at home to Norwich City III, but they could not prevent a 5-0 defeat.

Ellie Brine and Jess Harris gave City a 2-0 lead at half-time, before Brine grabbed two more in the second half to complete her treble. Dragons continued to fight hard, but Harris added a fifth for City.

Leaders Diss were held to a 1-1 draw at Harleston Magpies V.

The game was goalless until 13 minutes from time when Diss' top scorer Toni Glover opened the scoring with a reverse stick shot.

They could not hold on to the lead however as Magpies equalised five minutes later when Kara Kilbourn's cross was met by Saffron Wilford and although Diss were awarded a penalty corner on the final whistle, they could not conjure a winner.

Broadland II were unable to break down a stubborn Pelicans III defence and the King's Lynn side netted the winner following a goalmouth scramble.

In Division Two, Norwich City V suffered their first defeat of the season, losing 1-0 at home to leaders Herlings, with the decisive goal arriving 12 minutes from time.

Norwich City IV also suffered a home defeat, losing 2-1 to Evergreens II.

Evergreens went 2-0 ahead before City pulled one back in the second half through Teresa McINally and the hosts also had a goal disallowed 10 minutes from the end.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter