Pre-season round-up: Lowestoft beaten by Braintree and Dereham lose at Gorleston

Lowestoft Town (blue/ white) v Braintree Town at Crown Meadow.Pre Season Friendly.Andrew Fisk.Pictur

Lowestoft Town (blue/ white) v Braintree Town at Crown Meadow.Pre Season Friendly.Andrew Fisk.Picture: James Bass - Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016

Lowestoft Town enjoyed their best work-out of pre-season so far despite going down to a 3-1 defeat against Braintree Town at Crown Meadow.

The Blues went in front after six minutes thanks to a rare goal from Andrew Fisk. The National League Premier side could only clear a Ryan Jarvis corner as far as Fisk on the edge of the box and the midfielder's controlled volley put the Trawlerboys in front with the aid of a deflection.

Braintree, who got to the National League play-offs last season after a third-placed finish, roared back and got back on level terms before half-time thanks to a superb 30-yard effort from Harry Lee.

However, moments before the goal trialist goalkeeper for Lowestoft, Josh Glover, once again impressed with a fine save.

Braintree could have been reduced to 10 men midway through the second half when Michael Cheek appeared to lash out at Fisk but no action was taken.

You may also want to watch:

The Essex side's quality eventually told in the last five minutes when first Simeon Akinola finished from close range before Isaac Galliford sealed the win.

Lowestoft travel to Gorleston tomorrow night for another pre-season friendly before going to King's Lynn Town next weekend. Their first Ryman League Premier game of the season is at Bognor Regis on Saturday, August 13.

Most Read

Gorleston Town showed their preparations for the new season are going very nicely indeed after a 5-3 win over higher-level Dereham Town at Emerald Park.

Connor Ingram bagged a hat-trick whilst Kieran Joseph and Mitch McKay were also on the scoresheet in the Greens' victory.

The Norwich City Development squad had too much quality for Fakenham Town, who were well beaten 5-0 by the young Canaries.

City's Kieran Higgs opened the scoring but was denied a second after seeing his penalty saved by Ghosts goalkeeper Tommy Rix. Owen Wallis did make it 2-0 to Norwich before a Brandon Oddy double put the game well out of Fakenham's reach. Devonte Aransibia completed the scoring late on.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus