Pre-season round-up: Lowestoft beaten by Braintree and Dereham lose at Gorleston
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
Lowestoft Town enjoyed their best work-out of pre-season so far despite going down to a 3-1 defeat against Braintree Town at Crown Meadow.
The Blues went in front after six minutes thanks to a rare goal from Andrew Fisk. The National League Premier side could only clear a Ryan Jarvis corner as far as Fisk on the edge of the box and the midfielder's controlled volley put the Trawlerboys in front with the aid of a deflection.
Braintree, who got to the National League play-offs last season after a third-placed finish, roared back and got back on level terms before half-time thanks to a superb 30-yard effort from Harry Lee.
However, moments before the goal trialist goalkeeper for Lowestoft, Josh Glover, once again impressed with a fine save.
Braintree could have been reduced to 10 men midway through the second half when Michael Cheek appeared to lash out at Fisk but no action was taken.
You may also want to watch:
The Essex side's quality eventually told in the last five minutes when first Simeon Akinola finished from close range before Isaac Galliford sealed the win.
Lowestoft travel to Gorleston tomorrow night for another pre-season friendly before going to King's Lynn Town next weekend. Their first Ryman League Premier game of the season is at Bognor Regis on Saturday, August 13.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
Gorleston Town showed their preparations for the new season are going very nicely indeed after a 5-3 win over higher-level Dereham Town at Emerald Park.
Connor Ingram bagged a hat-trick whilst Kieran Joseph and Mitch McKay were also on the scoresheet in the Greens' victory.
The Norwich City Development squad had too much quality for Fakenham Town, who were well beaten 5-0 by the young Canaries.
City's Kieran Higgs opened the scoring but was denied a second after seeing his penalty saved by Ghosts goalkeeper Tommy Rix. Owen Wallis did make it 2-0 to Norwich before a Brandon Oddy double put the game well out of Fakenham's reach. Devonte Aransibia completed the scoring late on.