Poxton fancies an upset against boxing starlet in Southern Area title fight
- Credit: Jerry Daws/stillfocused
Craig Poxton has not taken on a Southern Area title fight against Boy Jones Junior to make up the numbers.
Poxton will be the underdog when he climbs in the ring next Friday for his super featherweight clash against the highly-rated 20 year-old who is undefeated in his 12 bouts so far (11 wins, one draw).
Jones Junior will have a big reach advantage over the Lowestoft fighter but trainer Matt Smith insists his man is more than capable of pulling off an upset at the York Hall.
'If it's a boxing match or an absolute tear up then Craig will be ready,' said Smith. 'Boy Junior is a big lad. He should box his jab but he likes to sit on the ropes and fight - if's that's what he wants to do then Craig is more than capable of trading.
'Boy George is one of BoxNation's favourites – he's a crowd favourite and he's highly thought of. He deserves our respect and, at 20, he's done a lot of boxing already. But we're not going there to make up the numbers - he's going there to win the Southern Area title.'
You may also want to watch:
Poxton had planned to drop down to featherweight after falling short in previous title fights at super featherweight against George Jupp and Andy Townend. But Smith admitted the chance to make it third time lucky was too much to resist for Poxton.
'The plan was to drop down to featherweight but there just haven't been enough opportunities at that weight,' added Smith. 'Craig makes super featherweight comfortably and we really fancied another title fight.
- 1 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 2 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 3 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 4 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 5 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 6 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 7 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 8 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 9 Shop worker receives complaints for asking customers to wear face masks
- 10 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
'Craig is a fighting man - he took the English title fight against Andy Townend and to be honest he probably wasn't quite ready for it. But he doesn't regret it at all.
'The Southern Area title fight is the right one for Craig and he's looking to work his way back up.'
Poxton has been putting in the hard yards on Lowestoft beach for the past few weeks in preparation for the fight. 'We're out on Lowestoft beach every morning at minus six degrees,' said Smith, whose charge also trains out of the Kickstop Gym in Norwich. 'I've got to admit some mornings it's disgraceful but that's what makes the difference and makes you want it even more.'
Poxton is looking for a sponsor going into the fight – anyone interested should call Matt Smith on 07889731717.