Postman wins Norfolk Cricket Alliance award after stamping his authority on league
- Credit: Jason Bye
Dereham postman Jake Anema has spent the summer stamping his authority on cricket grounds across Norfolk – and now he's been recognised for his performances.
All-rounder Anema has been named Dipple & Conway Opticians Norfolk Cricket Alliance Player of the Month for August.
Playing for Dereham in Division Two of the Alliance, August proved a productive month for Anema. As opening batsman he scored 103 against Norwich A and 55 not out against Downham A.
Then in the final game on the season, against local rivals Fakenham A, Anema posted a score of 105 runs with the bat and 5-29 with the ball.
It was a match-winning contribution which saw Anema pip Hardingham's Toby Fletcher to the award – and the prize of £150-worth of sunglasses, provided by Alliance sponsors Dipple & Conway.
Fletcher, another all-rounder, weighed in with scores of 78, 53 and 96 and also took 6-23 and 4-48 for Division Three side Hardingham.
Other players in the running for the August Player of the Month award included Premier Division players Michael Warnes, of Cromer, who took 6-37 and 5-17.
- 1 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 2 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 3 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 4 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 5 Norfolk Coast Path to close for eight weeks
- 6 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 7 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 8 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 9 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 10 Man accused of playing naked wrestling game with schoolgirl likely to be jailed
Elsewhere in the top flight, Rob Purton of Sprowston scored an unbeaten 102 and took 4-43, Patrick Yates of Downham Market hit 89 and 70 not out, while Luke Findlay of Fakenham put together impressive knocks of 58 not out and 116.