Poll: Did King’s Lynn Town’s Michael Frew deserve to get sent off for this attempted challenge?
- Credit: Ian Burt
King's Lynn Town will not appeal the controversial red card that was given to Michael Frew last night.
The Linnets, in the middle of a torrid run of form in the Evo-Stik Premier Division, were deservedly leading 1-0 at home to Matlock Town when Frew was given his marching orders by referee George Sprague for his attempted tackle on Liam Needham.
The decision left home supporters up in arms and even though the club have video footage of the incident, boss Gary Setchell insists there is no point in putting together a case to try and get his player's dismissal recinded.
Lynn's boss, whose troops ended up losing 3-1 after a late collapse, said: 'I can see why he sent Michael off, because he has lunged. But there is no malice or intent. It wasn't two-footed. It was a one-legged lunge to try and block the ball.
'I just thought the ref, which I said to him, was rash. I think he'd pulled the red card out before the lad had even landed. It was more shock than anything for everyone in the ground.
You may also want to watch:
'What's the point of appealing it? It's an open and shut case. He's gone with his leading leg. It's down to the referee's discretion but you'll never get one overturned. There's no point. I'd like to get the penalty (for Matlock's third) overturned but you can't can you?'
Jamie McDonagh's strike and Danny Holland's brace – one of which came from the spot – in the final 15 minutes consigned Lynn to their fourth home defeat in a row. Setchell's side, fifth at the start of November, now sit 15th and just five points above the relegation zone.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 6 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 7 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 8 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?