Planters' win comes at a price

Norwich United 4, Wivenhoe Town 0Ultimately a comfortable victory for the Planters as they completed their first double of the season over strugglers Wivenhoe Town.

Norwich United 4, Wivenhoe Town 0

Ultimately a comfortable victory for the Planters as they completed their first double of the season over strugglers Wivenhoe Town.

But it came at a price as midfielder Matty Robinson suffered a broken fibia and dislocated ankle following a collision just before half time.

Ironically this was the first time this season that manager Paul Chick had been able to name an unchanged team, fielding the same 11 who had beaten Wroxham on Tuesday .

The Planters had struggled to break the deadlock during the first half, Steve Shipley forced Wivenhoe keeper Chris Jones to punch clear a Lee Hunter free kick, Darren Coe headed wide form a Robinson corner and then saw his header from a Hunter corner held by Jones.

Robinson's shot on the turn took a deflection and was fielded by Jones and then he saw a header deflected wide.

Most Read

Coe had the ball in the net after 37 minutes, heading home from Hunter's corner but the referee gave a free kick for climbing.

After a 45 minute delay following Robinson's injury the Planters finished the first half by grabbing the vital first goal, Andrew Claydon playing in a lovely ball from the right channel, substitute Jordan Blyth touched it on and into the path of Paul Atkins who was cutting in form the left and hit his right foot shot across Jones and into the far top corner.

The Planters started the second half strongly and a Warren Preston header forced a save from Jones, but the Planters soon doubled their advantage, Claydon attempted to cut off a back pass, Jones managed to get to the ball first but only succeeded in finding Blyth who hit the ball home past the scampering keeper.

Wivenhoe applied a little pressure and Coe sliced a clearance against his own post and Nathan Pauling had to dive to his right to save a Ben Connell header but it was the Planters who soon regained the ascendancy and in the 80th minute a lovely move involving Atkins, Claydon and Blyth ended with George Wilson calmly netting past Jones for his first goal for the club.

Claydon completed the scoring in the final minute when he latched on to a long ball forward and drove past Jones.

Norwich United: Pauling, McCabe, Furlong (G Wilson 55), Coe (Tacon 85), Preston, Shipley, Hunter, Squires, Claydon, Robinson (Blyth 40), Atkins. Unused sub: Nower.

Wivenoe Town: Jones, T Amass, Sainsford (Raby 46), Webb, R Amass, Spindler, Hawkins (Carr 76), Keating, Rogers (Smith 87), Connell, Yearling. Unused Sub: Stepney.

Referee: J Marin. Assistants: M Leach & M Hollick.

Attendance: 62.