Picture Gallery: St Neots 2, King’s Lynn 4

King's Lynn joint boss Kevin Boon admitted today's UCL Premier Division 4-2 win at title rivals St Neots will take some beating.

Boon drew parallels with the former club's Southern League, Eastern Division last day title triumph at Fisher back in 2004 after more than 900 travelling fans saw Town wreck Neots' unbeaten league record.

Steve Spriggs' hat-trick and Jack Defty's 32nd of the season cancelled out ex-Linnet Lewis Webb's early penalty and former Premier League striker Stefan Moore's strike just before half-time.

Lynn can now go top on Tuesday night with a win at Cogenhoe if Neots fail to win at St Ives after moving to within a point of next week's FA Vase opponents.

'This performance reminded me of the day at Fisher,' said Boon, who helped guide Lynn to the title that afternoon alongside Darren Bloodworth. 'When that final whistle went my heart was beating so fast. I turned to Ross McNeil and said how long left towards the end. He said 12 minutes. It seemed ten at least had gone by so I said how long again and he said ten minutes. It was very, very tense even with the two goal cushion but we were winning second balls and kept dogging away.

You may also want to watch:

'That crowd was worth at least a goal to us. In the second half the atmosphere lifted the players and they responded. They are such a massive asset to this club. Along with Spriggsy's hat-trick they are the two biggest plus points for me.'

Fellow joint boss Gary Setchell was convinced Town had the tools to hurt the UCL leaders on their own patch in front of 1,481 - the biggest Premier Division crowd in more than three decades.

Most Read

'We felt in the first 25 minutes we had a raw deal off the referee but once it went 1-1 I knew if we could hang out to half-time we could win the game,' he said. 'They scored a great goal from Moore but we still showed them too much respect at that stage.

'We knew it was always going to be a mammoth task coming here today but we still felt we had the players who could hurt them with Jack, Spriggsy and people like that we felt we could get at them. At half-time we said to them we didn't look like we believed it enough. I know we'd been against the wind, but I said if we had a real go at them second half we can win the game.'

Defty's ricochet spooned into the net inside the opening two minutes but the big skipper was penalised for handball. New Saints' keeper Dave Hogan then hammered against Chris Bacon with the sides struggling to adapt to the blustery conditions.

Lewis Hilliard cut inside Jamie Alsop but Town old boy Webb was crowded out. Moore headed over on 11 minutes after the dangerous Hilliard had tricked his way into the box.

Ross Watson clattered Moore on 13 minutes inside the Town box to allow Webb to step up to hammer home the penalty. Spriggs scuffed at Hogan seconds later in a swift riposte from the visitors.

Alex Street confidently claimed Hilliard's long range free kick on 23 minutes. Street then pulled off a fine double save to foil Moore and Webb's follow up with Watson poleaxed in the build up.

Spriggs fired Lynn level on 32 minutes with a cool close range finish after Bacon drove down the left before checking back to pick out his team mate.

Theo Davis tracked Defty's run to cut out Jamie Thurlbourne's probing pass with Lynn growing in confidence.

Moore clinically controlled Junior Konadu's reverse ball on his chest to rifle past Street into the bottom corner on 42 minutes to restore the hosts' lead. Defty caught Hogan in stoppage time trying to latch onto Jamie Thurlbourne's set piece.

Defty's wind-assisted hit flew well over on the restart but the intent was clear from Town with the conditions now in their favour. Spriggs calmly lifted around Hogan for his and Town's second after Defty flicked on Watson's throw.

Spriggs tried his luck again with a flick from Bacon 18 yards out which went well over as Saints struggled in the blustery conditions.

Moore skipped past Buhlemann but Alsop beat Hilliard to his cut back.

Defty poked Town in front on the hour mark from Street's booming goal kick on the galeforce wind with Hogan again left badly exposed.

Defty then stabbed against a post with a snap header as Town's huge away support drove on the visitors.

Spriggs completed his hat-trick when he drilled a right-footer past Hogan from the edge of the area then sidefooted a sharp chance for a fourth shortly after.

Street's magnificent reaction stop foiled Kieron Davies. Danny White hammered over on 80 minutes with Lynn looking to kill the game before Defty's sidefoot from the edge was deflected behind as Lynn played out the remaining minutes with few alarms.

• St Neots: Hogan, D Moore, Davis, Webb, Fuff, Fordham, Hilliard, Konadu (Davies 65), S Moore, Tolley, Jacob (Essandoh 77). Subs: Gent, Hyem, Scully, Trebes.

Booking: Tolley

Goals: Webb (13), Moore (42)

• King's Lynn: Street, Bexfield, Alsop, L Thurlbourne, Watson, Buhlemann, Spriggs ( Doherty 75), White, Defty, Bacon (Harris 77), J Thurlbourne. Subs: McNeil, Moriera, Hails

Booking: Alsop

Goals: Spriggs (32, 53, 65), Defty (60)

• Referee: G Kinnear

• Attendance: 1,481

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter