Photo Gallery: Youngsters get chance to shine in front of Olympian Linford Christie
Ever wondered if you could beat Linford Christie's 60m sprint record of 6.47 seconds?
Hundreds of youngsters got the chance to do just that yesterday while showing off their sporting prowess to the Olympic gold medallist.
It is the third year that Christie, who won 23 major championship medals in his career, has brought his popular Street Athletics to King's Lynn.
It saw youngsters taking part in a series of 60-metre sprint races in the Tuesday Market Place resulting in a final race for each of the four age groups to determine which youngsters would qualify for the grand final in Manchester.
The former world champion sprinter told the EDP he was impressed with some of the sprinting talent on display.
He added: 'It's great to encourage young people who are not engaged with sport and community activities to take part in something positive.
'The reason why Street Athletics came about is because it was something that I did. We used to race on the street and I'm sure most of the adults here remember they did too.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 3 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 4 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 5 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 6 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 7 Brick and flint north Norfolk cottage a stone's throw from the beach on sale for £650k
- 8 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 9 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 10 Can you spot yourself in our pictures from Reepham Festival?
'I decided if we can give the kids the same opportunity then hopefully one or two of them will realise their dreams and who knows we could turn some of these kids into Olympic stars.'
The EDP has launched a monthly supplement called London Calling which counts down to the games. The next one is out on August 30. Click on the link at the top of the stories for stories from the first supplement.