Photo Gallery: Youngsters get chance to shine in front of Olympian Linford Christie
Ever wondered if you could beat Linford Christie's 60m sprint record of 6.47 seconds?
Hundreds of youngsters got the chance to do just that yesterday while showing off their sporting prowess to the Olympic gold medallist.
It is the third year that Christie, who won 23 major championship medals in his career, has brought his popular Street Athletics to King's Lynn.
It saw youngsters taking part in a series of 60-metre sprint races in the Tuesday Market Place resulting in a final race for each of the four age groups to determine which youngsters would qualify for the grand final in Manchester.
The former world champion sprinter told the EDP he was impressed with some of the sprinting talent on display.
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'It's great to encourage young people who are not engaged with sport and community activities to take part in something positive.
'The reason why Street Athletics came about is because it was something that I did. We used to race on the street and I'm sure most of the adults here remember they did too.
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 7 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 8 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 10 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
'I decided if we can give the kids the same opportunity then hopefully one or two of them will realise their dreams and who knows we could turn some of these kids into Olympic stars.'
The EDP has launched a monthly supplement called London Calling which counts down to the games. The next one is out on August 30. Click on the link at the top of the stories for stories from the first supplement.