Photo gallery: Wroxham 3 Fakenham Town 2

FA Cup - Wroxham v Fakenham Town at Trafford Park. Wroxham first goal. Photo : Steve Adams

FA Cup - Wroxham v Fakenham Town at Trafford Park. Wroxham first goal. Photo : Steve Adams - Credit: Steve Adams

Super-sub Jack Garrod came off the bench to score twice as the Yachtsmen set up an exciting encounter against King's Lynn in the first qualifying round.

Fakenham hearts were broken in stoppage time as Garrod inspired a comeback from 2-1 down.

'We dug in today and managed to get over the line,' said boss Stewart Larter, who side return to Ryman League North action today with a home game against Soham Town Rangers.

'It wasn't pretty, but I am happy that we will be playing King's Lynn in the next round.

'We weren't as good as we have been, but we draw a line under that and have a chance to put things right quickly on Monday.'

You may also want to watch:

Yachtsmen were on the attack from the first whistle. Nick Davey's cross from the right in the second minute found Seamus Kelleher. The wide man was in plenty of space and found the bottom left corner to give Wroxham an early lead.

But Fakenham forced keeper Elliot Pride into some top drawer saves from Robbie Harris and James Page and in first-half stoppage time they got their reward with a stunning double. A perfectly weighted cross in was met by Ashley Jarvis, whose volley gave Pride no chance.

Most Read

Then, with the Yachtsmen trying to regroup, they struck again, when a through ball found the lively Jarvis who this time finished it in the bottom right corner.

Early in the second half Nathan Stone had a couple of very good chances to draw Wroxham level, but the turning point match came just after the hour mark when Garrod replaced Matthew Waters and Charlie Norman came on for Jack Guyton.

With just under 15 minutes left Garrod cut inside from the right before smashing the ball into the top left-hand corner to bring the scores level.

Fakenham didn't sit back, and five minutes from time Sam Garner hit the ball on the turn only to see it crash against the bar. A minute later, Harris also hit the woodwork on the counter-attack after trying to chip Pride.

Then, with the game looking destined to go to a replay, a weaving run from Stone down the left ended with Garrod finishing beautifully in the bottom left corner.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter