Photo Gallery: Norfolk Senior Cup fourth round: Thetford Town 0, King’s Lynn Town 3
Striker Jason Turner's hat-trick was the difference as Lynn knocked out last season's Norfolk Senior Cup runners-up.
Frontman Turner, Lynn's captain for the night, showed his class in front of goal to secure victory for Gary Setchell's higher-level side and seal their place in tomorrow's quarter-final draw.
The 31-year-old slotted home three times from inside the box at Mundford Road tonight - once before the break - to end Thetford's dream of reaching Carrow Road for a second year in a row.
That said, Mark Scott's underdogs gave Lynn an almighty fright when James Pipe beat Linnets' keeper Danny Gay inside 20 seconds, only to see his effort crash back off the post.
That scare sparked the visitors into life with George Thomson, Luke Biles and Turner forcing Ian Fancett into fine saves. But the hosts were certainly in it against a much-changed Lynn right up until the stroke of half time.
Turner's 43rd-minute finish with his left foot, after latching onto Ryan Fryatt's long ball, was classy - even if it should have been defended better.
And despite John Curtis having an equaliser ruled out for offside, the hosts never threatened a comeback as Lynn turned the screw.
- 1 Major incident in city after reports of stabbing
- 2 Film crews for Paramount crime series to visit ANOTHER Norfolk village
- 3 Range Rover hit by train after straying onto level crossing
- 4 Woman stabbed in neck and arm in city park
- 5 Six fire crews battle large field blaze in south Norfolk
- 6 Woman in 50s arrested after house sealed off in quiet street
- 7 46-cabin holiday park proposed for Norfolk countryside
- 8 Here's when parents can get complimentary tickets to BeWILDerwood
- 9 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 10 Artist dies just weeks after Covid cancellation of psychiatrist appointment
Turner gave the Linnets' a two-goal cushion when he lofted a clever shot home and his third soon came when he controlled Biles' shot and cooly passed the ball into the net. And it could have been even more for Lynn had the impressive Fancett not made three fine saves from substitute Steve Spriggs.
Thetford: Fancett, Joseph, Cusack, D. Morphew, Bailey (Skipp, 74), K. Morphew, Wake, Dew, Pipe, Curtis (Holden, 87), Catchpole. Subs not used: Mannion, McCartney, Wilcox. Booked: Catchpole.
Lynn: Gay, Buhlemann, Fryatt, Lee, McLeish, Biles, White, Thomson (Quigley, 46), Thurlbourne (Stocker, 67), Dunkley (Spriggs, 59), Turner. Subs not used: Watson, Duarte. Booked: McLeish. Goal: Turner (43, 61, 73).
Ref: A. Guy
- A gallery of Ian Bury's pictures from the game will be added to this report soon.