Photo Gallery: Norfolk Senior Cup fourth round: Thetford Town 0, King’s Lynn Town 3
Striker Jason Turner's hat-trick was the difference as Lynn knocked out last season's Norfolk Senior Cup runners-up.
Frontman Turner, Lynn's captain for the night, showed his class in front of goal to secure victory for Gary Setchell's higher-level side and seal their place in tomorrow's quarter-final draw.
The 31-year-old slotted home three times from inside the box at Mundford Road tonight - once before the break - to end Thetford's dream of reaching Carrow Road for a second year in a row.
That said, Mark Scott's underdogs gave Lynn an almighty fright when James Pipe beat Linnets' keeper Danny Gay inside 20 seconds, only to see his effort crash back off the post.
That scare sparked the visitors into life with George Thomson, Luke Biles and Turner forcing Ian Fancett into fine saves. But the hosts were certainly in it against a much-changed Lynn right up until the stroke of half time.
You may also want to watch:
Turner's 43rd-minute finish with his left foot, after latching onto Ryan Fryatt's long ball, was classy - even if it should have been defended better.
And despite John Curtis having an equaliser ruled out for offside, the hosts never threatened a comeback as Lynn turned the screw.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 6 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 9 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 10 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
Turner gave the Linnets' a two-goal cushion when he lofted a clever shot home and his third soon came when he controlled Biles' shot and cooly passed the ball into the net. And it could have been even more for Lynn had the impressive Fancett not made three fine saves from substitute Steve Spriggs.
Thetford: Fancett, Joseph, Cusack, D. Morphew, Bailey (Skipp, 74), K. Morphew, Wake, Dew, Pipe, Curtis (Holden, 87), Catchpole. Subs not used: Mannion, McCartney, Wilcox. Booked: Catchpole.
Lynn: Gay, Buhlemann, Fryatt, Lee, McLeish, Biles, White, Thomson (Quigley, 46), Thurlbourne (Stocker, 67), Dunkley (Spriggs, 59), Turner. Subs not used: Watson, Duarte. Booked: McLeish. Goal: Turner (43, 61, 73).
Ref: A. Guy
- A gallery of Ian Bury's pictures from the game will be added to this report soon.