Photo gallery: King’s Lynn 4, Yaxley 2

King's Lynn came from two goals down to keep alive their UCL Premier Division title hopes tonight at The Walks.

Lynn trailed to Andy Beech's brace afer more generous home defending in the wake of Saturday's FA Vase reverse at Coalville, but Jamie Thurlbourne dragged one back from the penalty spot in the dying stages of the first half.

Robbie Harris pounced three minutes after the interval before Steve Spriggs nudged Town in front and Chris Bacon completed the comeback to keep the pressure on long time leaders St Neots - who won 2-0 at (S & L) Corby to remain seven points clear of Lynn having played two games more.

Setchell praised his men's courage after a sluggish start following on from Saturday's disappointing FA Vase semi-final, first leg defeat.

'I think we got exactly what we deserved in the first half,' he said. 'I think the lads didn't show Yaxley enough respect and to be fair we've made a horrible error for the first goal. Pedro (Alex Street) is a young keeper and he is going to make those type of mistakes but he has bailed us out plenty of times. I can accept that. What I can't accept is the lack of work rate in that first half an hour. We weren't closing them down nowhere near enough.

'We had a few choice words at the break about perhaps one or two players having an eye on this weekend's second leg. These games are our bread and butter. The league is the be all and end all. We aren't in a situation where we can leave a bit in the tank.'

Lynn upped the pace after the interval to run out comfortable winners.

Most Read

'I thought we controlled the pace a lot better,' he said. 'We looked like we would score and defended better. It's a scruffy three points at the end of the day.'

Town restored midfielder Danny White to the starting line up in one of three changes to the weekend FA Vase semi-final defeat at Coalville.

White hadn't made a first team outing since last month's FA Vase quarter-final win over Rye when he was later diagnosed with viral meningitis.

Kieran Doherty dropped to the bench along with centre back Danny Buhlemann. Martin McNeil replaced Buhlemann alongside Ross Watson. Pat Bexfield slotted back into the right-back berth with Charlie Defty unavailable.

Harris was also handed a start alongside Jack Defty in a strikeforce that could well be unleashed on Coalville from the start this weekend.

Harris tried his luck with an angled lash that flew wide of Lee Peacock's far post. Luke Thurlbourne burst through but drilled at Peacock from 20 yards. Andy Buckley sidefooted tamely at Alex Street from ten yards after the young keeper was nearly embarrassed by Ryan Wood's long free kick.

Luke Thurlbourne needed treatment on 13 minutes to his right shin after a block tackle with Ben Panting. Steve Spriggs miscued horribly with only Peacock to beat after the keeper's parry dropped invitingly to the dimuntive attacker.

Beech profited from Street's fumble to slot into an empty net on 16 minutes after Pat Bexfield looked to have eased the Yaxley striker off the ball.

Harris' volley cannoned off the inside of Peacock's right-hand upright but bounced back into play after Defty's initial overhead kick was blocked. Jamie Thurlbourne's 20 yard free kick struck Aaron Ridout after his brother Luke had been upended with Lynn continuing to labour in search of an equaliser.

Spriggs dragged at Peacock from just inside the area on the half hour mark. Bexfield picked out White but his glancing header dropped a couple of yards wide in a better sign of attacking intent from the struggling hosts. Harris then tried to apply a decisive touch to Bexfield's hanging cross but only diverted it into Peacock's grasp.

Beech raced away from Watson to double his tally on 38 minutes with an angled strike underneath Street from just inside the box.

Watson contrived to sidefoot wide from virtually on the Yaxley goal line on 41 minutes to sum up home frustrations after Luke Thurlbourne's driven cross squeezed through a ruck of bodies. Harris then screwed Jamie Thurlbourne's well flighted cross behind.

Lynn were handed a lifeline - literally - when Ricky Hailstone was adjudged to have handled White's flick header.

Jamie Thurlbourne composed himself to drill the penalty down the centre. Harris then dragged Lynn level three minutes after the restart when Bexfield picked out the unmarked frontman who made no mistake from close range. Spriggs raced fully 60 yards to force a corner but Luke Thurlbourne was unable to squeeze the set piece home at the back post with Lynn discernibly moving through the gears.

Harris tried to pick out strike partner Defty but the big man was crowded out on the Yaxley penalty spot. Jamie Thurlbourne cut inside two before picking out Spriggs with a raking crossfield ball but Defty was unable to kill his cutback instantly for a strike at Peacock.

Jamie Thurlbourne then tricked his way past two again but overhit his intended cross with Lynn committing numbers to the opposition penalty box.

Spriggs and Harris combined sharply but Ridout cleared behind. Lynn moved in front for the first time from the resulting corner on 70 minutes - Spriggs bundling home from on the goal line after Peacock could only parry Harris' flick header up rather than out.

Jamie Thurlbourne's cross dropped to Defty but the skipper's control let him down again on the six yard box as Lynn searched for some extra insurance.

Defty was withdrawn on 77 minutes for Bacon with the skipper looking in need of an early finish after another wholehearted shift up front.

Spriggs teased Matt Holland but drilled at Peacock before Bacon's goal was disallowed for a foul on Peacock. Jamie Thurlbourne then teed up Bacon whose finish failed to match his near post run. Ben Panting was penalised for a deliberate back pass on 83 minutes - leading to the bizarre sight of ten Yaxley men stationed on their own goal line but Jamie Thurlbourne's strike struck the sturdy red wall.

Peacock was almost embarrassed by Jamie Thurlbourne's hanging free kick which clipped his left-hand upright who then ran through one-on-one but lifted over from a tight angle.

Bacon finally got his reward with a brave stoppage time header to seal the hard-fought win to maintain Town's title tilt.

• King's Lynn: Street, Bexfield, Alsop, L Thurlbourne, McNeil, Watson (Fryatt 88), Spriggs, White (Doherty 59), Defty (Bacon 77), Harris, J Thurlbourne. Subs (not used): Buhlemann, Hails.

• Booking: McNeil

• Goals: J Thurlbourne (42), Harris (48), Spriggs (70), Bacon (90)

• Yaxley: Peacock, Wood, Holland, Ridout, Stone (Evans 81), Panting, McHale (Rust 76), Buckley (Sallis 84), Beech, Hailstone, Nespoli. Subs (all used).

• Bookings: Panting, Stone, Hailstone

• Goals: Beech (16, 38)

• Referee: A Wilson (Lincs)

• Attendance: 587

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter