Photo gallery: Evo-Stik Premier Division: King’s Lynn Town 1, Workington 2

Lynn's Leon Mettam at the final whistle. Picture: Ian Burt

Lynn's Leon Mettam at the final whistle. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

Lynn slipped to a home defeat as they failed to slow the in-form visitors' storming surge up the table.

A first-half goal from Gareth Arnison, adjudged to have crossed the line by the referee's assistant on the far side, and 75th-minute strike by player-manager Gavin Skelton – caused by centre-back Henry Eze's error – secured play-off chasing Workington's success.

And although the away team were lucky not to be reduced to 10 men after Jonny Jamieson's seemingly last-man foul in the middle of the first 45 minutes, few could argue they didn't deserve to complete the second part of their 516-mile round trip with another win added to their tally.

A late goal from Leon Mettam, his third in fourth appearances since arriving on loan, aside the home team never looked like getting back into the match as they failed to record back-to-back victories.

Gary Setchell made one enforced change from Saturday's morale-boosting 2-1 away win at Marine – Town's first on the road in the league since the opening day. As expected, midfield maestro David Bridges missed out after sustaining a serious leg injury during that victory which saw him spend the night in hospital. Steve Spriggs was restored to the starting line-up in his absence with David Bell moving inside to a more central role as a result.

You may also want to watch:

While Lynn's spirits were raised by that timely success, The Reds went into the match with an even greater spring in their step. Relegated from Conference North last term, they sat fifth ahead of kick-off and in the middle of an outstanding run of just two defeats in 15 matches.

Both sides were keen to get the ball down early on with the visitors notching up the first two chances of note. First, Anthony Wright stung Alex Street's palms from distance before Bell spared his keeper's blushes to deny Joshua Calvert. He had profited from Lynn's goalie coming for a corner and failing to collect it.

Most Read

Street's opposite number Jamieson covered himself in glory moments later as he sprinted off the line to smother Mettam. The Tamworth man had been found superbly by his fellow loanee Peter Winn whose exquisite lofted delivery pierced the away side's rearguard. However, Lynn's temporary striker's speedy touch and attempt were not quite quick enough to beat the green-shirted stopper.

The action continued to be bright with a couple of inviting centres from the hosts' Jordan Yong and Arnison at the other end just evading their targets. Only a poor first touch robbed Spriggs of his chance to pull the trigger when picked out by Mettam.

A game-changing moment went against Setchell's charges just after the half-hour mark when Michael Frew gambled on Eze's ball into the channel. Skipper Daniel Wordsworth left it to his keeper and almost paid the price when Jamieson barged the blonde hitman over while challenging for the ball.

It looked obvious that the offending player was going to receive his marching orders but the man in the middle Neil Smith bizarrely ruled against classing him as the last defender. Team-mate Wordsworth may have been in the vicinity but his presence appeared to be a mere get-out clause for not brandishing the red.

Six minutes later another call went against the hosts and this time, even if it was perhaps correct, it proved even costlier. A sweeping exchange involving Wright and Alex Salmon put it on a plate for Arnison and he did the rest – with the aid of an official.

Workington's interplay continued to flourish in the remainder of the period with Conor Tinion scuffing his opportunity and Ross Watson's last-ditch challenge denying Arnison a certain second. But they'd have still been happy enough to take a lead into the break.

There was little to note during the opening quarter after the restart until Salmon headed wide and then Yong covered superbly to block Arnison in front of his own goal-line.

The Reds looked far likelier to get a second, rather than Lynn equalising, as proceedings became even scrappier. The quality of play was far inferior to the first. And it was an error in possession that allowed the away team to wrap up their latest three points.

Eze dallied on the ball in the middle of his own half and lost it to Skelton who skipped through and slotted him with aplomb. Mettam fired a volley over, and then headed Watson's cross home, but it wasn't enough to spark a late, late fightback.

Lynn (4-4-2): Street, Watson, Eze, Fryatt, Yong, Spriggs, Bell, Quigley, Winn, Frew (Smith, 66), Mettam. Subs not used: Ramm, Stocker, Colman. Booked: Bell, Watson, Smith. Goal: Mettam (88)

Workington (4-1-4-1): Jamieson, Simpson, Rowntree, Calvert, Wordsworth, Skelton, Newby (Mwasile, 66), McLuckie (Salmon, 30), Arnison, Wright, Tinnion. Subs not used: Murray, Smith, Hindmarch. Booked: Jamieson, Wordsworth. Goals: Arnison (38), Skelton (75).

Referee: N Smith

Attendance: 532

- A gallery of Ian Burt's pictures from today's game will be added to this report soon.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter