Phoenix Sports 1 Wroxham 2 – Yachtsmen ease Ryman League Division One North relegation fears
- Credit: Archant
Wroxham's revival under Damian Hilton continued as they moved four points clear of the relegation zone.
A long journey to Kent saw the Yachtsmen return home with all three Ryman League Division One North points as two goals from Jack Garrod were enough to win a tough encounter. The victory made it three games unbeaten for Wroxham who have now picked up 11 points since Hilton took over little more a month ago.
Wroxham – who welcomed back Matt Halliday and Nick Davey – started brightly and Garrod was unlucky not to win a penalty with two minutes on the clock. Phoenix Sports replied with Adrian Stones blasting over the bar and Giannoulis Fakinos heading straight into the arms of Elliot Pride.
Hilton's troops responded well and Davey saw two shots blocked on the line in quick succession.
They got their rewards on the half-hour when David Hinton's shot was deflected and Garrod calmly slotted home.
You may also want to watch:
Sports levelled 10 minutes later when Christie Pattison took a touch inside the box before smashing past Pride.
Garrod bagged his second soon after the restart by slotting home the spot-kick that he had won.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 3 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 6 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 7 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 10 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
Adrian Stone headed over as the home side pressed for an equaliser. Some valiant Wroxham defending kept the hosts at bay as the game started to get feisty.
In injury time a moment of madness from Sports' skipper Russell Bedford as he missed the ball while taking a wild swing and connected with Garrod – as he tried to block a quick free kick – saw him get sent off.