Peter Mendham returns to football with Newmarket Town
Former Norwich City midfielder Peter Mendham is back in football after being appointed assistant manager at Newmarket Town.
The 51-year-old League Cup and Second Division title winner was released from prison last year, three years after pleading guilty to wounding his then-girlfriend with intent at their Norwich home.
Mendham will now join Jockeys boss Kevin Grainger at the Ridgeons League Premier Division strugglers and was on hand at the weekend to see his new side's 6-1 win over bottom side Yarmouth Town from the sidelines.
For the 1994 FA Vase winner with Diss, Newmarket will represent his return to the game in which he made his name – and Grainger believes it is right Mendham is given another chance.
'What happened has happened, it's none of our business,' said the Jockeys boss. 'He's been punished and has done what he had to do. Now he's looking to get back into football and coaching and brings so much to the table.
You may also want to watch:
'He wants to put what happened behind him. Mistakes happen in life and I'm sure he regrets it. Everyone deserves a chance.
'Peter is an ex-pro who played in the Ridgeons League as well, and he's really looking forward to the challenge. He was at the game on Saturday just to have a look and see if he wanted to come in.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 5 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 6 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 7 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 8 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 9 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 10 Former village pub for sale as home
'I've been looking for someone to help me since Lewis Baillie left, but I've been waiting to get the right person, and I've found someone in Peter who will do a good job. He's really keen to get involved and I'm sure he'll be really good for us.'
King's Lynn-born Mendham came through the youth ranks at Norwich before making 267 appearances for the Canaries between 1978 and 1987, while finishing his career with spells at Diss, Wroxham, King's Lynn, Watton and Norwich United.